Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[stars] Red Supergiants

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    How big can these stars get, Also can a star be born at a Supergiant level?

I'm having a hard time understanding a particular object. The Helix Nebula is said to be the result of a supernova explosion, a closeup reveals tiny knots of gas, now these knots are said to be at least the size of our solar system, which means that the star dying to cause the Helix Nebula must've been huge, but how big was this star?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

According to Wikipedia, "A supergiant is a very large type of star which is ~10 to 50 solar masses on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. Supergiants can have radii in excess of 1000 solar radii."

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3
    My question is will those knots of gas create new stars?

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Possibly this will answer the question.

http://phobos.physics.uiowa.edu/~srs/lec16/lec16.html

Otherwise google with "Red supergiant evolution".

There are a number of pdf's and one site suggests the evolution of red supergiants is still poorly understood.

Of recent supernovae observed, how many were red sg's before.

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Based on current knowledge [which is not precise or complete] red giants evolve from HR main sequence stars. The core temperature necessary to inflate the photosphere to red giant proportions cannot be achieved by hydrogen fusion. Perhaps a star formed predominantly from helium could theoretically be born a red giant, but I doubt it could ever get hot enough to initiate helium fusion without blowing itself apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?