Relativity Expert on Startalk Podcast: Interstellar & Near Light Travel

In summary, if you want to travel near the speed of light, you need to leave Earth and launch with a million spacecraft.
SBNY444
I really hate, and also not fully understand it, when people talk about near light travel and they only mention about the stationary observers (people on earth). I forget her name but the relativity expert on the Startalk podcast about the movie interstellar, along with Neil, said that if you travel near the speed of light to a distant location say 1,000 light years away from earth, it's not feasible because it will take you 1,000 years. This is true only relative to the observers and is only half the story! The person or people on the spaceship going near the speed of light will get there significantly sooner than 1,000 years travel time. So if you can imagine a far fetch scenario where we all needed to leave Earth and somehow NASA got funding for 1 million spacecraft that could hold 6,000 people (which is a seat for all on Earth give or take) and the spacecraft all go near the speed of light and we all left at the same time then the 1,000 light year value is not relevant to the journey. I didn't do the math but we would get to our "1,000 light year away" location in say a few years if that, right? Please help! this is making me loose sleep :)

Physics news on Phys.org
SBNY444 said:
I didn't do the math but we would get to our "1,000 light year away" location in say a few years if that, right?
Yes. If you don't care about coming back to meet old friends, the time passed on Earth becomes irrelevant to you.

Yes, i don't care about going back to earth. It's in ruins and everyone on Earth has launched with me. Any idea how long it would actually take for the people on the rocket?

That depends on how fast you go. Have you got inertial dampers so you could survive high-g accelerations for a long time ( like 20 minutes) ?

let's not get technical and stray from the actual question. Assume a uniform 1 G acceleration to 0.99c.

Handy dandy relativistic space travel calculator: http://nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php

For a 1000 LY journey accelerating at 1 g, it would take the crew 13 years.

Last edited:
wow, these tools are sweet. Thanks all!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a set of two theories in physics: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity explains the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time.

2. How does relativity relate to interstellar travel?

Relativity plays a crucial role in interstellar travel as it predicts the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. This means that time passes slower for objects in motion and that objects appear shorter in the direction of motion. Therefore, it is essential to consider relativity when planning long-distance space travel.

3. Can we travel at the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate further. However, the theory does allow for objects with zero mass, such as photons, to travel at the speed of light.

4. How does relativity affect our perception of time?

Relativity states that time is relative and can vary depending on an observer's frame of reference. This means that two observers can experience time differently depending on their relative speeds and gravitational fields. For example, time would pass slower for an astronaut on a spaceship traveling near the speed of light compared to someone on Earth.

5. What is the significance of relativity in understanding the universe?

Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding space, time, and gravity. It has helped explain phenomena such as the bending of light around massive objects and the expansion of the universe. Without the theory of relativity, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete.