States in relativistic quantum field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of state assignment and updates in the covariant, observer-independent view of fields. Each observer sees a different picture given their information, and the final observer sees the complete picture. There is a disagreement on whether collapse is only an update or something more, with one person saying it is just an update and another leaving open the possibility of it being more. The conversation also touches on the idea of realism and the role of reality in calculating experimental results.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
atyy said:
it is true that the state is assigned to spacelike surface, and the "update" takes place instantaneously on that surface.

No. This is a noncovariant, observer-specific view.In the covariant, observer-independent view of fields, states are labeled instead by the causal classical solutions of hyperbolic field equations. On the collection of these the Peierls bracket is defined, which is the covariant version of the Poisson bracket. Each observer picks out a particular frame and with it at each time a Cauchy surface that intersects a causal classical solution exactly once - giving the instantaneous field labels of the observer's state satisfying a functional Schroedinger equation that reduces after space discretization to the nonrelativistic treatments.Thus the same covariant state appears different to each observer, just as in classical relativistic physics the same covariant length appears different to different observers.In classical relativistic physics, one can directly compare only events modeled by a single observer; models of different observers have no connection unless they agree on the information encoded in it and use the rules of relativity to translate their models into mathematically equivalent things. The same holds even more so in quantum relativistic physics.The collapse is a sudden change of the model used by an observer to reinterpret the situation when new information comes in, hence depends on when and whether the observer cares to take notice of a physical fact. This clearly cannot affect other observers and their models of the physical situation. Hence there is no nonlocal effect. Nonlocal correlations appear only when a single observer compares records of other (distant) observer's measurements. At that time the past light cone of this observer contains all the previously nonlocal information, so that locality is again not violated

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
Nonlocal correlations appear only when a single observer compares records of other (distant) observer's measurements.
Realism requires that observations of different observers can be unified into single consistent system. If it's impossible to form that consistent system without nonlocal effects then they are real.

Likes Demystifier
zonde said:
Realism requires that observations of different observers can be unified into single consistent system. If it's impossible to form that consistent system without nonlocal effects then they are real.
Each observer sees a consistent picture given its information. The final observer sees the complete picture with his complete information. Thus there is nothing inconsistent in the whole setting although there are nonlocal correlations without nonlocal action.

Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
No. This is a noncovariant, observer-specific view.In the covariant, observer-independent view of fields, states are labeled instead by the causal classical solutions of hyperbolic field equations. On the collection of these the Peierls bracket is defined, which is the covariant version of the Poisson bracket. Each observer picks out a particular frame and with it at each time a Cauchy surface that intersects a causal classical solution exactly once - giving the instantaneous field labels of the observer's state satisfying a functional Schroedinger equation that reduces after space discretization to the nonrelativistic treatments.Thus the same covariant state appears different to each observer, just as in classical relativistic physics the same covariant length appears different to different observers.In classical relativistic physics, one can directly compare only events modeled by a single observer; models of different observers have no connection unless they agree on the information encoded in it and use the rules of relativity to translate their models into mathematically equivalent things. The same holds even more so in quantum relativistic physics.The collapse is a sudden change of the model used by an observer to reinterpret the situation when new information comes in, hence depends on when and whether the observer cares to take notice of a physical fact. This clearly cannot affect other observers and their models of the physical situation. Hence there is no nonlocal effect. Nonlocal correlations appear only when a single observer compares records of other (distant) observer's measurements. At that time the past light cone of this observer contains all the previously nonlocal information, so that locality is again not violated

For some interpretation of all your words - I agree with all your words except one. The only word I don't agree with is the first word, which should be "Yes" instead of "No".

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
A. Neumaier said:
The collapse is a sudden change of the model used by an observer to reinterpret the situation when new information comes in, hence depends on when and whether the observer cares to take notice of a physical fact. This clearly cannot affect other observers and their models of the physical situation. Hence there is no nonlocal effect.
If only @vanhees71 could accept that definition of the collapse. :smile:

Demystifier said:
If only @vanhees71 could accept that definition of the collapse. :smile:
But I do accept this view. That's what I've been emphasizing the whole time! Only in #4 again it is very clear that atyy doesn't accept it, because of course if you accept it, then the first word in #1 indeed must be clearly "no"!

vanhees71 said:
But I do accept this view. That's what I've been emphasizing the whole time!
I see. Then the problem must be with @atyy who, at least in some posts, seems to suggest that collapse could be something more than a mere update.

Demystifier said:
I see. Then the problem must be with @atyy who, at least in some posts, seems to suggest that collapse could be something more than a mere update.
Yes!

vanhees71 said:
But I do accept this view. That's what I've been emphasizing the whole time! Only in #4 again it is very clear that atyy doesn't accept it, because of course if you accept it, then the first word in #1 indeed must be clearly "no"!

Demystifier said:

vanhees71 said:
Yes!

If the observer pretends that the collapse is nonlocal, he makes no mistake.

Hence the answer is yes - reality is a tool to calculate the results of experiments.

BTW, in general, I am agnostic to whether collapse is only an update - I leave open the option that collapse is something more than an update. Similarly, although I don't know whether the reality in which the wave function collapses is real, I leave open the possibility that it is. Incidentally, Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu and Laloe are careful about this point in their text - they say that collapse is an update - but they do not say that collapse is only an update.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier

1. What is the concept of states in relativistic quantum field theory?

In relativistic quantum field theory, states refer to the possible configurations of particles and fields in a particular physical system. These states are described by wave functions, which represent the probability amplitudes for a particle or field to exist at a certain location or energy level.

2. How are states represented in relativistic quantum field theory?

In relativistic quantum field theory, states are represented by operators known as creation and annihilation operators. These operators act on the vacuum state to create or destroy particles, and can be combined to represent more complex states.

3. What is the role of states in the calculation of physical observables in relativistic quantum field theory?

States play a crucial role in the calculation of physical observables in relativistic quantum field theory. The wave functions representing different states are used to calculate probabilities of particle interactions and to determine the values of physical quantities such as energy and momentum.

4. How do states in relativistic quantum field theory differ from states in non-relativistic quantum mechanics?

States in relativistic quantum field theory are different from states in non-relativistic quantum mechanics in that they take into account the effects of special relativity. In non-relativistic quantum mechanics, states are represented by wave functions in a fixed reference frame, while in relativistic quantum field theory, states must be described in a way that is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. What are the challenges in studying states in relativistic quantum field theory?

Studying states in relativistic quantum field theory presents several challenges. One of the main challenges is the need to incorporate the effects of special relativity, which can be mathematically complex. Additionally, the concept of particles and fields in relativistic quantum field theory is more abstract and can be difficult to visualize compared to non-relativistic quantum mechanics.