Static cable car, approximate tensions

In summary: Yes, that's good. However, you've not shown that this is the maximum tension it will be subjected to. It's not clear to me whether you are supposed to show that this is the maximum tension it will be subjected to, or that it can withstand this particular tension.
bobred

Homework Statement

Find approximate expressions for T1 and T2 that are
valid when h/d << 1 and h/x << 1

Homework Equations

[tex]T_{1} =\dfrac{mg\left(d-x\right)}{dh}\sqrt{1+\dfrac{x^{2}}{h^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]T_{2} =\dfrac{mgx}{d}\sqrt{1+\dfrac{\left(d-x\right)^{2}}{h^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]h^{2} =\dfrac{\left(L^{2}-d^{2}+2dx\right)^{2}}{4L^{2}}-x^{2}=\dfrac{\left(L^{2}-d^{2}\right)\left(L^{2}-d^{2}+4x\left(d-x\right)\right)}{4L^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin!

Attachments

• q4a.png
    q4a.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a spurious h in the denominator in your first equation. I assume it's a typo.
Since you want approximation for small h, rearrange things so that the surds take the form ##\sqrt{1 + \frac{h^2}Z}## for suitable Zs. Then you can use the binomial expansion.

Likes bobred
Hi, thanks, the h is spurious.
I am looking at rearranging things now.
James

Having a bit of a block with the rearranging, any hints?

bobred said:
Having a bit of a block with the rearranging, any hints?
##\sqrt{1+\dfrac{x^{2}}{h^{2}}} = \frac 1h \sqrt{x^{2}+h^{2}}##. Can you do the next step?

Likes bobred
I get that, thanks, and I get

[tex]T_{1} =\frac{mg\left(d-x\right)}{h}\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{d^2}+\frac{h^2}{d^2}}[/tex]

bobred said:
I get that, thanks, and I get

[tex]T_{1} =\frac{mg\left(d-x\right)}{h}\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{d^2}+\frac{h^2}{d^2}}[/tex]
That's not the form you want. You don't want ##x/d## inside the radical. You want a 1 in there. You have
$$\frac 1h \sqrt{x^2+h^2}.$$ Factor something out of the radical so that one of the terms is 1 and the other is <<1.

So is this right

[tex]\frac{1}{hx}\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}}[/tex]

bobred said:
So is this right

[tex]\frac{1}{hx}\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}}[/tex]
You have the right expression inside the square root, but you made a mistake in the extracted factor.
When you've corrected that, do you understand what to do to get rid of the square root by making an approximation?

Should it be this?

[tex]\frac{x}{h}\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}}[/tex]

The square root can be expanded by a binomial expansion

[tex]\left(1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}\right)^{1/2}=1+\frac{1}{2}\,{\frac {{h}^{2}}{{x}^{2}}}-\frac{1}{8}\,{\frac {{h}^{4}}{{x}^{4}}}+\frac{1}{16}
\,{\frac {{h}^{6}}{{x}^{6}}}-{\frac {5}{128}}\,{\frac {{h}^{8}}{{x}^{8
}}}+{\frac {7}{256}}\,{\frac {{h}^{10}}{{x}^{10}}}[/tex]

given that [itex]\frac{h}{x}\ll1[/itex] would it be

[tex]\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}}\approx1[/tex]

If you wanted to do that, you could have gotten the same result much more simply:
$$\sqrt{1+\frac{x^2}{h^2}} \cong \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{h^2}} = \frac{x}{h}.$$ Typically, you keep at least the first-order term of the expansion, i.e.,
$$\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}} \cong 1 + \frac 12 \frac{h^2}{x^2}$$ so that
$$\sqrt{1+\frac{x^2}{h^2}} = \frac xh \sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{x^2}} \cong \frac xh \left(1 + \frac 12 \frac{h^2}{x^2}\right).$$

Likes bobred
Thanks for the help.
I need to show that the cable can withstand a tension of

[tex]\frac{mgd}{4h}[/tex]

I have tried many things but cannot get the expression.

bobred said:
Thanks for the help.

I have tried many things but cannot get the expression.
You need to post at least one updated attempt. Then we can see where you are going wrong.

Hi

I thought maybe adding the magnitudes of both [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]T_2[/tex] but that didn't work.

bobred said:
I don't think that's quite what you mean. Let me guess:
The diagram represents a cable car moving across. As it moves, the angles, distances and tensions change. The car hangs from a wheel on the cable which is in rolling contact with the cable, so the tensions in the two parts of the cable need not be the same (because there is a static friction force).
You are asked to show that the maximum tension on any part of the cable is [itex]\frac{mgd}{4h}[/itex].
If so, there is no reason to be adding the two tensions. You only need consider one tension and its maximum value. By symmetry, the other will have the same maximum value.
Please post your expression for T1 after making the approximation discussed. How will you find its maximum?

Likes bobred
Hi, after posting last night I was laying in bed thinking along those lines.
At the half way point [itex]x=d/2[/itex], substituting into [itex]T_1[/itex]

[tex]T_1=\frac{mg(d/2)(d-d/2)}{dh}\left( 1 + \frac{h^2}{2(d/2)^2} \right)=\frac{mgd}{4h}\left( 1 + \frac{2h^2}{d^2} \right)[/tex]

so as [itex]\frac{h}{d}\ll1[/itex] then the expression in brackets is approx 1 so

[tex]T_1=T_2=\frac{mgd}{4h}[/tex]

Therefore the cable must be able to support this tension.
Thanks

bobred said:
Hi, after posting last night I was laying in bed thinking along those lines.
At the half way point [itex]x=d/2[/itex], substituting into [itex]T_1[/itex]

[tex]T_1=\frac{mg(d/2)(d-d/2)}{dh}\left( 1 + \frac{h^2}{2(d/2)^2} \right)=\frac{mgd}{4h}\left( 1 + \frac{2h^2}{d^2} \right)[/tex]

so as [itex]\frac{h}{d}\ll1[/itex] then the expression in brackets is approx 1 so

[tex]T_1=T_2=\frac{mgd}{4h}[/tex]

Therefore the cable must be able to support this tension.
Thanks
Yes, that's good. However, you've not shown that this is the maximum tension it will be subjected to. It's not clear to me whether you are supposed to show that.

Likes bobred
It doesn't, but showing why would be a good idea.

For [itex]T_1[/itex] taking the approximation into account

[tex]T_1=\frac{mg(d-x)}{dh}[/tex]

taking the first derivative wrt [itex]x[/itex] and making this equal zero the value for [itex]x[/itex] is [itex]d/2[/itex] so half way along the cable where [itex]T_1=T_2[/itex]

bobred said:
It doesn't, but showing why would be a good idea.

For [itex]T_1[/itex] taking the approximation into account

[tex]T_1=\frac{mg(d-x)}{dh}[/tex]

taking the first derivative wrt [itex]x[/itex] and making this equal zero the value for [itex]x[/itex] is [itex]d/2[/itex] so half way along the cable where [itex]T_1=T_2[/itex]
Good. But does that show it is a maximum there?

No, differentiating again gives a negative result, showing a maximum.

bobred said:
No, differentiating again gives a negative result, showing a maximum.
Great. (Sorry - didn't notice you'd replied before.)

1. What is a static cable car?

A static cable car is a mode of transportation that uses a stationary cable to transport passengers or goods between two points. It is commonly used in mountainous areas or for sightseeing purposes.

2. How does a static cable car work?

A static cable car works by using a motorized system to pull a cable that is attached to a series of cabins or cars. The cable is anchored at both ends and the cars are able to move along the cable, suspended in the air.

3. What are approximate tensions in a static cable car?

The approximate tensions in a static cable car refer to the amount of force or tension that is applied to the cable in order to keep it in place and support the weight of the cars and passengers. This tension is carefully calculated to ensure the safety and stability of the cable car system.

4. How are tensions in a static cable car determined?

The tensions in a static cable car are determined by several factors, including the weight of the cars and passengers, the length and angle of the cable, and the friction and wind conditions. Engineers use mathematical formulas and simulations to calculate the approximate tensions needed for a safe and efficient cable car system.

5. Are there any safety concerns with the tensions in a static cable car?

Yes, safety is a top priority when it comes to designing and operating a static cable car. The tensions in the cable must be carefully monitored and adjusted to prevent any potential malfunctions or accidents. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial for ensuring the safety of the cable car system.