How can you use electricity to create static charge and bend water?

In summary: To do it with a battery, you would need to use a high voltage, which is not possible with the materials that are shown in the video.
Bonez
Hello all, I watched a youtube video where you can rub a plastic tube on your hair, and the static electricity generated will pull a stream of water falling from a faucet.

My question is, how would this be possible to do electrically? Meaning, using electricity or a battery powered device instead of rubbing 2 materials together? Is it possible?

If so, what materials and voltages/currents would be necessary?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read up some on electrostatics, the current/voltage/ or what not isn't important here. It's important that the object you're using has a negative or positive net charge. Friction charges the objects in the video, and is idea since they aren’t good conductors. Conduction and induction on the other hand work well with conducting materials such as metals.

Static electricity often corresponds to very large voltages - hundreds of volts (but tiny amounts of charges, so it is not dangerous). You won't be able to reproduce this with a battery, no matter what you do with it.

Actually static electricity is many volts AND amps but just for a few trillionths of a second

Thank you all for the replies. I am really struggling to wrap my mind around static electricity.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, how could you charge the plastic pipe using only electricity? Or, how could you simulate the same effect using AC/DC electricity and same/other materials? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Bonez said:
Thank you all for the replies. I am really struggling to wrap my mind around static electricity.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, how could you charge the plastic pipe using only electricity? Or, how could you simulate the same effect using AC/DC electricity and same/other materials? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Plastic pipe + electricity = lot of trouble for no real reason.

What you can do is charge a plastic pipe with your hair and use induction to charge a metal object that's grounded. Then you can bend water with it.

You can charge objects with electricity, but a battery isn't going to be sufficient or ideal.

1. How does static electricity affect water?

Static electricity can cause water molecules to become polarized, meaning they have a positive and negative end. This can make water molecules attract or repel each other, causing water to form into droplets or spread out in a thin film.

2. Can static electricity cause water to move?

Yes, static electricity can cause water to move. The attraction or repulsion of water molecules due to static charges can create a force that causes water to flow or spread out in a certain direction.

3. Why does water sometimes "jump" when poured from a container?

This is due to the buildup of static electricity on the surface of the water as it flows through the air. The static charges can cause the water to be attracted to or repelled from the container or other objects, causing it to jump or splash.

4. Can static electricity in water be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity in water is not dangerous. However, in some situations, such as when filling a gas tank with gasoline, static electricity can lead to a dangerous spark and cause a fire. It is important to take precautions and ground any static charges when handling flammable liquids.

5. How can static electricity be removed from water?

One way to remove static electricity from water is to ground it by connecting it to a conductive material, such as a metal pipe or wire. This allows the excess charges to flow away and neutralizes the static electricity. Adding ions to the water, such as by stirring in a pinch of salt, can also help dissipate static charges.