Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static electricity generation. Optimum materials?

1. May 3, 2010 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

Hello. I'm interested intaking a cloud formed of activated carbon particles and particulates of some other substance to produce static electricity similar to that formed in a cumulonimbus cloud. The means of containing this experiment is another matter. I understand that when "opposite materials" as some call them are rubbed together, static electricity is best produced.

I want to use particulates of activated carbon, but I don't know what element would be best to produce static electricity when rubbed against carbon.

Could someone explain the material requirements to create optimal static friction? Thanks.

Regards,
    -Tay

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    Google the term http://www.siliconfareast.com/tribo_series.htm" [Broken]. Carbon falls somewhere in there, but is not featured on that page. You will probably have to google extensively the term triboelectric and carbon or graphite.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook