Static friction problem for person to walk up plank

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a physics problem involving trigonometric functions and moment arms. The speaker initially makes a mistake in their solution, but is corrected by the other person. They also discuss the quality of the solution and the correct equation to use in the final step. The final answer is determined to be 1.00m.
Hyperfluxe

Homework Statement

hHjgP.png

Homework Equations

See my work.

The Attempt at a Solution

sh0W2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the wrong trig function, you multiply all forces by sin40 except for friction going up, that's when you use cos40 .

Shouldn't the weights be multiplied by cos(40) because they are vertically downwards, so the moment arm would be the horizontal distance?

Hyperfluxe said:
Shouldn't the weights be multiplied by cos(40) because they are vertically downwards, so the moment arm would be the horizontal distance?

You're right, my mistake.

The answer I get still doesn't match yours, but I can barely see the text, do you have a clearer picture of the solution?

Yeah my bad, the quality is horrendous. Here's a way better one:

hBrCp.jpg

You used the wrong equation during the final step. Set 165.22s + 70.81 equal to equation 2. That should get you the correct answer.

Wow that was such a silly mistake haha. Thanks for pointing it out! I got 1.00m as the answer.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object and there is no relative motion between the two. In simpler terms, it is the force that prevents an object from sliding when it is at rest.

2. How does static friction affect a person walking up a plank?

When a person walks up a plank, static friction comes into play to prevent the person's feet from slipping and causing them to lose balance. The friction between the person's feet and the plank provides the necessary grip for them to move forward without sliding.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction between a person's feet and the plank?

The amount of static friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, which is determined by the materials they are made of. It also depends on the normal force, which is the force exerted by the person's weight on the plank. The roughness or smoothness of the surfaces can also affect the static friction.

4. How does the angle of the plank affect the static friction?

The angle of the plank can affect the static friction in two ways. Firstly, a steeper angle will increase the normal force, which in turn increases the static friction. Secondly, a steeper angle also increases the component of the person's weight that is parallel to the plank, providing more force to counteract any potential sliding.

5. Can the static friction between a person's feet and a plank ever be completely eliminated?

No, the static friction between two surfaces can never be completely eliminated. This is because there will always be some imperfections or micro-level roughness on the surfaces, leading to some amount of friction. However, the amount of static friction can be reduced by using smoother or more slippery materials.