Statically charging polypropylene sheets

• Thread starter Catapult
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, these sheets are able to retain their static charge for a long time, and you can create a clingy bond with them by applying pressure.
Catapult
So recently, I discovered this: http://www.magicwhiteboard.co.uk/

It's a statically charged polypropylene sheet that sticks to walls, paper, etc. Apparently they retain their static for a long time.

How do they charge these? A giant Van de Graaff generator? Rubbing it against a large carpet? Or is the sheet charged somehow during the process of production?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know for sure but I suspect the static is created as you unroll it.

Catapult said:
So recently, I discovered this: http://www.magicwhiteboard.co.uk/

It's a statically charged polypropylene sheet that sticks to walls, paper, etc. Apparently they retain their static for a long time.

How do they charge these? A giant Van de Graaff generator? Rubbing it against a large carpet? Or is the sheet charged somehow during the process of production?

They probably haves a large supply of cats in the factory. :biggrin:

Those sheets may be statically charged when you first unroll them, just like many other kinds of plastic foil, but I don't think they are able to keep that charge for a long time under normal circumstances.
You can take any normal plastic foil and stick it to a wall by rubbing over it. But on most walls the foil will fall off again within a few hours. Wood and wallpaper are hygroscopic. So the moisture contained in those substances will slowly discharge the foil.
However if you "glue" plastic foil to a metal wall (or a wall covered in aluminum foil), it can stick there for years.

Anyway, in my opinion that whiteboard foil works similar to plastic wrap, which often has a cling agent added to it (e.g. polyisobutene) to increase the Van der Waals forces that make it stick.

DrZoidberg said:
Those sheets may be statically charged when you first unroll them, just like many other kinds of plastic foil, but I don't think they are able to keep that charge for a long time under normal circumstances.
You can take any normal plastic foil and stick it to a wall by rubbing over it. But on most walls the foil will fall off again within a few hours. Wood and wallpaper are hygroscopic. So the moisture contained in those substances will slowly discharge the foil.
However if you "glue" plastic foil to a metal wall (or a wall covered in aluminum foil), it can stick there for years.

Anyway, in my opinion that whiteboard foil works similar to plastic wrap, which often has a cling agent added to it (e.g. polyisobutene) to increase the Van der Waals forces that make it stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65ZzffW-Cw
Makes sense, thanks for your answer http://gizmodo.com/5807661/how-does-cling-wrap-cling

1. What is the purpose of statically charging polypropylene sheets?

The purpose of statically charging polypropylene sheets is to create a temporary electrostatic charge on the surface of the sheets. This allows them to attract and hold onto small particles, such as dust or debris, making them useful for cleaning and other industrial processes.

2. How are polypropylene sheets statically charged?

Polypropylene sheets can be statically charged through a process called corona treatment, in which the sheets are passed under a high-voltage electrode. This causes the surface of the sheets to become charged, allowing them to attract and hold onto small particles.

3. Can polypropylene sheets lose their static charge over time?

Yes, polypropylene sheets can lose their static charge over time as the charge dissipates. The rate of charge loss will depend on factors such as humidity and the type of particles the sheets are exposed to. However, the sheets can be recharged through the corona treatment process.

4. Are there any safety concerns with handling statically charged polypropylene sheets?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when handling statically charged polypropylene sheets. The high-voltage electrode used in the corona treatment process can pose a risk of electrical shock. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and wear appropriate protective gear when handling these sheets.

5. What are some common uses for statically charging polypropylene sheets?

Statically charged polypropylene sheets have a variety of uses in industries such as electronics, printing, and packaging. They can be used for cleaning surfaces, removing dust and debris from electronic components, and assisting in the printing process by attracting and holding ink particles. They are also commonly used as a protective layer for packaging materials to prevent static buildup and damage to sensitive products.