Statics problem -- Frame supported by pin connections....

In summary: MD = (0.8)TBEsin51.3 + (1.2)TFCsin68.2 = 0MD = (0.8)TBEsin51.3 + (1.2)TFCsin68.2 = 0Equation looks good but remember that in writing it you have assumed that both vert components of BE and FC forces act in the same direction. That's ok. Now when you look at the top beam, you must assume that those vert force components being equal but opposite per Newton act in the opposite direction. Then when you solve for them, if a result comes out negative, you assumed the wrong direction, and must make appropriate adjustments. Please show
Subba
Problem is here,

http://s24.postimg.org/3y6wpyncl/frame.png

I'm looking at this problem with the top and bottom beams being separate members and doing a FBD of both separately. However I'm unsure about the points where we have tension/compression. Like at point B, do I include a y component and the tension, or just tension? My first instinct was to not include the y component by itself, but the problem asks to find the reactions at point B, so wouldn't that need to be broken down into x and y?

Doing the latter, what I was thinking is taking a moment about D and going from there.

MD = (0.8)TBEsin51.3 + (1.2)TFCsin68.2

I would then solve for one of those variables, take the moment about A in the other diagram, and and plug in. Would that be correct?

Also, for distributed force, would it be 400(1.4), with the distance being it is acting on the top member be [400(1.4)][0.7]?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert here, but my first thoughts are:

As far as tension or compression goes, I try removing that link (eg. BE) and ask how the ends would move (eg. would B and E become closer or further apart?) From the geometry and load one can often see what would happen.

Looking at this diagram, I ask myself, can they both be in compression? Or both in tension? How would that affect the bottom beam?

Looking at this problem, I would think about x and y components because you will be able to ignore one or other in some calculations: for eg. when you take moments about D, you can ignore y at A and x at E and F. It will also remove sines and cosines from some calculations.

Perhaps you can share more of your thoughts, then people are able to make more pertinent comments.

BTW I think there may be a typo in the question, as there does not seem to me to be a "member ABD". I am assuming they mean ABC.
P#3 is worded strangely for me. I would work out the horizontal and vertical components, then the magnitude and direction of the total force.

Yeah correct the typo.

You should note that the pinned diagonals which are subject to forces at either end with no forces in between are thus 2-force members, subject to resultant axial forces along the member in tension or compression. Therefore, the x and y components of the tension or compression forces are trig related sines or cosines of the axial force. Draw free body diagrams of each beam and solve for unknowns.

I solved the problem the way I think it's suppose to be solved, but the numbers I'm getting seem way too low, so I screwed up somewhere. Is my trigonometry correct in this equation?

MD = (0.8)TBEsin51.3 + (1.2)TFCsin68.2 = 0

Subba said:
I solved the problem the way I think it's suppose to be solved, but the numbers I'm getting seem way too low, so I screwed up somewhere. Is my trigonometry correct in this equation?

MD = (0.8)TBEsin51.3 + (1.2)TFCsin68.2 = 0
Equation looks good but remember that in writing it you have assumed that both vert components of BE and FC forces act in the same direction. That's ok. Now when you look at the top beam, you must assume that those vert force components being equal but opposite per Newton act in the opposite direction. Then when you solve for them, if a result comes out negative, you assumed the wrong direction, and must make appropriate adjustments. Please show your full calcs for better assistance. The minus sign and it's interpretation will bury you if you are not careful.

1. What is a frame supported by pin connections?

A frame supported by pin connections is a structure in which the ends of each member (beam or column) are connected to the support using a pin, allowing the member to rotate at the connection point. This type of support does not restrain any horizontal or vertical movement of the member, only rotation.

2. How do you determine the reactions at the pin connections?

To determine the reactions at the pin connections, you need to draw a free body diagram of the entire frame and apply the equations of equilibrium. This includes summing the forces and moments in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The reactions at the pin connections will be equal to the forces and moments necessary to keep the frame in static equilibrium.

3. What are the advantages of using pin connections in a frame?

Pin connections allow for rotational movement at the connection points, which can be advantageous in certain structures. This type of support also reduces the number of unknown reactions, making the analysis of the frame simpler. And since there is no horizontal or vertical restraint, it can accommodate thermal expansion and contraction without causing excessive stress in the frame.

4. Can a frame supported by pin connections be statically indeterminate?

Yes, a frame supported by pin connections can be statically indeterminate. This means that the number of unknown reactions is greater than the number of equilibrium equations, making it impossible to solve for all the reactions using equilibrium alone. In this case, additional information, such as compatibility equations or deformation compatibility, is needed to solve for the unknown reactions.

5. What are some common design considerations for a frame supported by pin connections?

Some common design considerations for a frame supported by pin connections include ensuring that the connections can handle the expected rotational movement without failure, selecting appropriate materials and sizes for the members to withstand the applied loads and maintain stability, and ensuring that the frame is geometrically stable and does not experience excessive deflection or deformation under the expected loads.