Statics project: where to place a support

In summary, the conversation is about a project for a statics class which involves building an assembly with four different support reactions attached to one central post. The system will be analyzed separately and a weight will be applied to each "L" shaped projection. To prevent the projections from falling over, a string is attached from the top to the point where the load is applied. Three of the projections will work fine regardless of their location or weight, but the smooth pad requires perfect placement. Equilibrium equations and a free body diagram have been provided, and the final product has been completed. The issue of the smooth pad's arrangement and attachment is still to be resolved.
musicmar

Homework Statement

I have a project for my statics class. My topic is equilibrium of a rigid body, and I am building an assembly that will have four different support reactions. They will all be attached to one central post for ease of construction, but they will be analyzed as separate systems. I've attached a picture of what I have so far. One(only one attached so far) will have a fixed support, one a pin(using the wires attached), one a ball and socket(using kinex), and one a smooth pad. A weight will be applied from a string at the end of each "L" shaped projection. Because all except the fixed would fall over because nothing is preventing a moment about the x axis, I am also attaching a string from the top to the point where the load is applied. Three of the projections will work fine once I attach them, no matter where they are located nor what the weight is. However, the smooth pad will not work unless it is perfectly placed. I'm not exactly sure where to put it vertically on the post. I can vary the vertical placement and the weight (I'm using pennies post 1982, so multiples of 2.5 grams).

The following are the equilibrium equations for this system. I've also attached the free body diagram for the pin system. The reactions at A are not correct for the smooth pad, but the rest of the diagram is accurate.

∑Fx= 0 = Tx
∑Fy= 0 = Ty
∑Fz= 0 = -W + Tz
∑Mx= 0 = -W(b) + Tz(b)
∑My= 0 = -W(c) + Tz(c)
∑Mz= 0 = Tx(b) + Ty(c)

Thank you for your help.
~Melissa

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG00121-20110424-1427.jpg
    IMG00121-20110424-1427.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG00122-20110424-1427.jpg
    IMG00122-20110424-1427.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
I've finished it now. I've attached a picture of the final product.

Attachments

• IMG00124-20110424-1745.jpg
    IMG00124-20110424-1745.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 621
I can't see where the smooth pad is. If the smooth pad is arranged to allow vertical movement, then the attachment to it must be horizontal, So can the L-shape be inclined to permit that?

1. Where should I place a support for my statics project?

The placement of a support for a statics project depends on the specific structure and forces involved. Generally, the support should be placed at a point where it can effectively distribute the load and prevent excessive deflection.

2. How do I determine the appropriate distance between supports?

The distance between supports for a statics project is determined by the span length, load distribution, and load magnitude. It is important to consider the material properties and structural design to ensure proper support placement.

3. Can I place multiple supports for added stability?

Yes, in some cases, placing multiple supports can increase stability and prevent excessive deflection. However, it is important to ensure that the supports are properly spaced and that the structure can handle the additional load.

4. Is it necessary to consider the angle of the support?

Yes, the angle of the support can affect the distribution of forces and the stability of the structure. It is important to carefully consider the angle and placement of the support to ensure proper load distribution.

5. How do I know if my support placement is correct?

The best way to determine if your support placement is correct is to perform calculations and simulations using the appropriate equations and software. You can also consult with a structural engineer for a professional opinion.