Statics Question Moment for a Truss

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the moment about point G and determining the correct solution for a problem involving a 500 lb load at point I. The equation used is Moment about G = -(30*800) + (-300*50) + 60 A + 17.32*500 + (-17.32*500(4/5)) + (-40*500(3/5)) =0, which results in a solution of 821 lb.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

I need to find the moment about G. Please ignore the question in the image.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6086/4cv0.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

r X F

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment about G = -(30*800) + (-300*50) + 60 A + 17.32*500 + (-17.32*500(4/5)) =0

I keep getting A= 621 N but my solution is saying 721N. I am doing something wrong, not sure what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to look at the moment produced by both components for the 500 lb load at point I.

The reaction at A should be in lbs rather than Newtons.

Likes 1 person
Moment about G = -(30*800) + (-300*50) + 60 A + 17.32*500 + (-17.32*500(4/5)) + (-40*500(3/5)) =0

When I do that I get 821lb? I am still off...

wrong way its 20 thank you!

I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. It's possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong equation. Additionally, I would recommend seeking assistance from a tutor or classmate to review your work and see if they can identify any errors. It's important to be thorough and precise in scientific calculations to ensure accurate results.

1. What is the concept of moment in a truss?

Moment in a truss refers to the turning effect or rotational force applied to a point on the structure. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a point by the distance from that point to the pivot or point of rotation.

2. How is the moment calculated for a truss?

The moment of a truss can be calculated by using the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all the forces acting on a structure must equal zero. This means that the sum of all the moments acting clockwise must be equal to the sum of all the moments acting counterclockwise.

3. What is the importance of calculating moments in a truss?

Calculating moments in a truss is important for determining the stability and strength of the structure. It also helps in identifying any potential weak points or areas of high stress that may need reinforcement.

4. How do external forces affect the moments in a truss?

External forces, such as wind or weight loads, can create additional moments in a truss. These moments must be taken into account during the calculation process to ensure the overall stability and safety of the structure.

5. Can moments be negative in a truss?

Yes, moments in a truss can be either positive or negative. A positive moment is clockwise, while a negative moment is counterclockwise. Both types of moments must be considered in the calculation process to ensure the overall equilibrium of the structure.