Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary point for convex difference measure

1. Nov 14, 2015 #1
    Let [itex]\mathbb{S}^n[/itex] be a simplex in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex], so [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}=\{x\in\mathbb{R}^{n+1}|\sum{}x_{i}=1\}[/itex]. Let [itex]D[/itex] be a difference measure on [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex] with [itex]D(x,x)=0[/itex] and [itex]x=y[/itex] for [itex]D(x,y)=0[/itex]. [itex]D[/itex] is also smooth, so differentiable as much as we need.

Let (R) be a convexity requirement for [itex]D[/itex], corresponding to the intuition that on the periphery points are farther apart from each other than near the centre. [itex]M[/itex] is the midpoint of [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex], so the coordinates of [itex]M[/itex] are all [itex]m_{i}=1/(n+1)[/itex]. Let [itex]d[/itex] be the Euclidean distance function.

(R) if conditions (i)--(iii) are fulfilled for [itex]X_{1},X_{2},X_{3},X_{4}[/itex] then [itex]D(X_{1},X_{2})^{2}>D(X_{3},X_{4})^{2}[/itex].

Here are conditions (i)--(iii) (see the diagram for illustration in [itex]\mathbb{S}^{1}[/itex]):

http://streetgreek.com/lpublic/various/horizon.png [Broken]

(i) [itex]X_{1},X_{2},X_{3},X_{4}[/itex] are all on a straight line between [itex]M[/itex] and an arbitrary point [itex]Z[/itex] on the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex], so [itex]v(OX_{i})=v(OM)+\lambda_{i}v(MZ)[/itex] (where [itex]v(OX)[/itex] is the vector from the origin to [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{i}\in[0,1][/itex]).

(ii) [itex]d(X_{1},X_{2})=d(X_{3},X_{4})[/itex].

(iii) [itex]\max\{\lambda_{i}\}=\lambda_{2}[/itex], so the pair [itex]X_{1},X_{2}[/itex] is farther away from the midpoint than the pair [itex]X_{3},X_{4}[/itex].

I am using the squared difference in (R) because I am allowing [itex]D[/itex] to be negative-valued. Given only (R) can I show that [itex]M[/itex] is the only stationary point on [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex] for [itex]D[/itex] such that

$$
    \frac{\partial{}D}{\partial{}x_{i}}=0
    $$

only at [itex]M[/itex]? The idea would be to show that a non-zero partial derivative at [itex]M[/itex] is inconsistent with (R) and a zero-vector derivative anywhere else is inconsistent with (R) as well. I lack the mathematical sophistication for a proof. I don't even really know what methods to use and which tags to give to this post.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2015 #2
    Don't answer this question. It has a fatal flaw in its premises. I would delete it, but I can no longer edit it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook