Stationary point for convex difference measure

In summary, the conditions for a smooth difference measure (D) are that the points in its domain are on a straight line between the origin and a fixed point, that the distance between two points is the same as the distance between the origin and the midpoint, and that the distance between two points is the same as the distance between the midpoint and the furthest away point.
noowutah
Let [itex]\mathbb{S}^n[/itex] be a simplex in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex], so [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}=\{x\in\mathbb{R}^{n+1}|\sum{}x_{i}=1\}[/itex]. Let [itex]D[/itex] be a difference measure on [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex] with [itex]D(x,x)=0[/itex] and [itex]x=y[/itex] for [itex]D(x,y)=0[/itex]. [itex]D[/itex] is also smooth, so differentiable as much as we need.

Let (R) be a convexity requirement for [itex]D[/itex], corresponding to the intuition that on the periphery points are farther apart from each other than near the centre. [itex]M[/itex] is the midpoint of [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex], so the coordinates of [itex]M[/itex] are all [itex]m_{i}=1/(n+1)[/itex]. Let [itex]d[/itex] be the Euclidean distance function.

(R) if conditions (i)--(iii) are fulfilled for [itex]X_{1},X_{2},X_{3},X_{4}[/itex] then [itex]D(X_{1},X_{2})^{2}>D(X_{3},X_{4})^{2}[/itex].

Here are conditions (i)--(iii) (see the diagram for illustration in [itex]\mathbb{S}^{1}[/itex]):

http://streetgreek.com/lpublic/various/horizon.png

(i) [itex]X_{1},X_{2},X_{3},X_{4}[/itex] are all on a straight line between [itex]M[/itex] and an arbitrary point [itex]Z[/itex] on the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex], so [itex]v(OX_{i})=v(OM)+\lambda_{i}v(MZ)[/itex] (where [itex]v(OX)[/itex] is the vector from the origin to [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{i}\in[0,1][/itex]).

(ii) [itex]d(X_{1},X_{2})=d(X_{3},X_{4})[/itex].

(iii) [itex]\max\{\lambda_{i}\}=\lambda_{2}[/itex], so the pair [itex]X_{1},X_{2}[/itex] is farther away from the midpoint than the pair [itex]X_{3},X_{4}[/itex].

I am using the squared difference in (R) because I am allowing [itex]D[/itex] to be negative-valued. Given only (R) can I show that [itex]M[/itex] is the only stationary point on [itex]\mathbb{S}^{n}[/itex] for [itex]D[/itex] such that

$$
\frac{\partial{}D}{\partial{}x_{i}}=0
$$

only at [itex]M[/itex]? The idea would be to show that a non-zero partial derivative at [itex]M[/itex] is inconsistent with (R) and a zero-vector derivative anywhere else is inconsistent with (R) as well. I lack the mathematical sophistication for a proof. I don't even really know what methods to use and which tags to give to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't answer this question. It has a fatal flaw in its premises. I would delete it, but I can no longer edit it.

Related to Stationary point for convex difference measure

1. What is a stationary point for convex difference measure?

A stationary point for convex difference measure refers to a point on a convex function where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero. This means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

2. How is a stationary point for convex difference measure calculated?

A stationary point for convex difference measure can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The resulting value is the x-coordinate of the stationary point.

3. What is the significance of a stationary point for convex difference measure?

A stationary point for convex difference measure is significant because it helps to determine the minimum or maximum value of a convex function. The point with the lowest value is considered the minimum, while the point with the highest value is considered the maximum.

4. Can a convex function have more than one stationary point?

Yes, a convex function can have more than one stationary point. However, all stationary points on a convex function are either local minimum or maximum points.

5. How is a stationary point for convex difference measure used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, a stationary point for convex difference measure is used in optimization problems to find the most efficient solution. It is also used in economics to determine the equilibrium point, and in engineering to find the most stable design.