1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics

1. May 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

describe one significant success and one troublesome failure encountered when classical statistical mechanics is used to explain the properties of gases.

(7 marks)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

success- it is simple to and it would fit the ideal world..

problem- we do not live in an ideal world, and differnt gases have differnt properties...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

Were I grading this, I would want a bit more specifics. We want a bit more specifics here at PF also.
  4. May 12, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think 7 marks, so I need to make 7 points.
  5. May 17, 2007 #4
    statistical mechanics concetrates on only on average behaviour of gases, using assumpitons about the likelohood of differnt possibilites.

this avoides the use of details newtonion calculation and turns the burden of enormouse number of molecules into an asset.

the good thing is the large number of molecules helps to ensure the relaibiility of the statsitcal mechincs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?