1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Statistical Thermodynamics - Help Wanted

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    Statistical Thermodynamics - Help Wanted :(

(My translation skills sucks, I hope it is understandable.)

Three spins, placed at vertices of an equilateral triangle, are put in the external magnetic field with density B. Hamiltonian of the system:
    [tex] H = -J \sum_{<i,j>} s_{i} s_{j} - \gamma \hbar B \sum_{i=1}^3 s_{i} [/tex]

where first sum runs over pairs of the nearest-neighbour spins and describes interactions between them, and the second sum represents spin interaction with external field; [tex] s_{i} [/tex] can take values between +1/2 and -1/2. Sketch possible states of the system and calculate the partition function! How much is the magnetic susceptibility of this triplet of spins system at T=300K ?
    Other data: [tex] J = 0.02 eV \gamma = e_{0}/m [/tex] , where [tex] e_{0} [/tex] and [tex] m [/tex] are electron charge and mass. Volume, taken by this triplet of spins is [tex] 0.1 nm^3 [/tex]

My attempt of the solution was so unsuccessful that isn't worth wasting time writing it in latex. The problem is a form of Ising model; at class we did one problem of finding Z in 1D and much simpler hamiltonian. I thought I kind of understood it then, but it doesn't help me much with this problem.
    Help? Thnx in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Statistical Thermodynamics - Help Wanted :(

Hi asynja,

I'm not sure what the point of this problem is exactly, but the system is simple enough with only 2^3 = 8 states that you can list all the energies for computing the partition function explicitly. Is this how you're approaching the problem?

There is also a trick for rewriting the interaction term that makes the problem easier.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook