Statistics and integration problem

In summary: The idea is that in 1 year in 25 is 4% of that time period. If the probability of an event is 4%, we would expect it to occurs 1 year in every 25 on average. So, if you plug in the answer from (5), P = 0.0228, into the formula, you'll get a reasonable answer.
Boogieface
Statistics and integration problem (urgent)

can anyone help me with (6)?

Attachments

• 04082011532.jpg
    04082011532.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 04082011522.jpg
    04082011522.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 04082011530.jpg
    04082011530.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the cumulative probability of a profit < 0?

sorry, what does cumulative probability mean?
In (3), I assumed the region is when the x-axis is negative which is 0.025 probabiltiy.
In (4), I used (3) as the same answer.
In (5), I used the calculator to work out putting integral with -10 lower bound and 0 upper bound. I got 0.028
but it doesn't make much sense at all...

so you want to find P(X<=0) where X is the profit

Knowing it is a normal distribution with mean 2 and SD 1, this is the probability of being 2 D's from the mean

this means it should be a about 2.2-2.3% probability, though you should be able to look it up in a table no worries to get an exact number - also see below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_deviation_diagram.svg

as mentioned for a 4% probability we intepret t his as a (1 in 1/0.04=25year ) event

what does this translate into for a 2.3% event (or whatever number you come up with?)

lanedance said:
so you want to find P(X<=0) where X is the profit

Knowing it is a normal distribution with mean 2 and SD 1, this is the probability of being 2 D's from the mean

this means it should be a about 2.2-2.3% probability, though you should be able to look it up in a table no worries to get an exact number - also see below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_deviation_diagram.svg

as mentioned for a 4% probability we intepret t his as a (1 in 1/0.04=25year ) event

what does this translate into for a 2.3% event (or whatever number you come up with?)
sorry, I still don't get the idea how to change it into years that the bank would make a loss.

For the 4% case
1/25 = 0.04 = 4%
work backwards from that

The idea is that in 1 year in 25 is 4% of that time period. If the probability of an event is 4%, we would expect it to occurs 1 year in every 25 on average

lanedance said:
For the 4% case
1/25 = 0.04 = 4%
work backwards from that

The idea is that in 1 year in 25 is 4% of that time period. If the probability of an event is 4%, we would expect it to occurs 1 year in every 25 on average

what i have done is, use 1 divided by the answer of (5) P = 0.0228

sounds like a good idea - do you get a reasonable answer?

1. What is statistics and why is it important in integration problems?

Statistics is the branch of mathematics that involves collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data. It is important in integration problems because it allows us to make sense of large amounts of data and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample.

2. How do you determine the appropriate statistical method to use in an integration problem?

The appropriate statistical method to use in an integration problem depends on the type of data being analyzed and the research question being asked. Some common methods include regression analysis, ANOVA, and t-tests. It is important to carefully consider the data and research question to choose the most appropriate method.

3. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing data, such as calculating measures of central tendency and variability. Inferential statistics involve making inferences and drawing conclusions about a population based on a sample of data.

4. How do you interpret the results of a statistical analysis?

The interpretation of statistical results depends on the specific analysis being performed. However, in general, it is important to look at the significance level, effect size, and confidence intervals to determine the strength and significance of the results. It is also important to consider the context of the research question and the limitations of the study.

5. What are some common challenges in integrating statistics into a research study?

Some common challenges in integrating statistics into a research study include choosing the appropriate statistical method, accurately interpreting the results, and ensuring the data is properly collected and analyzed. Other challenges may include dealing with missing data, outliers, and ensuring the study is ethical and unbiased.