Statistics: describing a best critical region of size alpha.

In summary: Since the problem is to compare these for the hypothesis that ##\theta = 0## and ##\theta = 1##, presumably they will have to be compared with the help of a test statisticT = T(x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n). You could write ##f(x^10|\theta)## as a polynomial in ##x## and use a computer algebra system to maximize it as a function of ##x##. Then you could compute the same quantity for the denominator as a function of ##x##, and the ratio would become a function of ##x##. You could then take the logarithm of that function and use calculus to find
Artusartos

Homework Statement

Suppose a sample of size 10 is drawn from a distribution with probability density function ##f(x, \theta) = 2x^{\theta}(1-x)^{1-\theta}## if ##0<x<1## and ##0## otherwise, where ##\theta \in \{0,1\}##. Describe a best critical region of size ##\alpha## for testing ##H_0 : \theta = 0## against the alternative hypothesis ##H_1 : \theta =1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We need ##\frac{L(0)}{L(1)} \leq k## for some ##k < 1##

We find that ##\frac{L(0)}{L(1)} = \frac{2(1-x_1)2(1-x_2)...2(1-x_{10})}{2x_12x_2...2x_{10}} = \frac{(1-x_1)(1-x_2)...(1-x_{10})}{x_1x_2...x_{10}}##. Now I want to simplify ##\frac{(1-x_1)(1-x_2)...(1-x_{10})}{x_1x_2...x_{10}} \leq k## to see if I can turn this into a distribution that looks more familiar. But for some reason I wasn't able to do anything, so I was wondering if somebody would give me a hint so I can continue...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a sample of size 10 is drawn from a distribution with probability density function ##f(x, \theta) = 2x^{\theta}(1-x)^{1-\theta}## if ##0<x<1## and ##0## otherwise, where ##\theta \in \{0,1\}##. Describe a best critical region of size ##\alpha## for testing ##H_0 : \theta = 0## against the alternative hypothesis ##H_1 : \theta =1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We need ##\frac{L(0)}{L(1)} \leq k## for some ##k < 1##

We find that ##\frac{L(0)}{L(1)} = \frac{2(1-x_1)2(1-x_2)...2(1-x_{10})}{2x_12x_2...2x_{10}} = \frac{(1-x_1)(1-x_2)...(1-x_{10})}{x_1x_2...x_{10}}##. Now I want to simplify ##\frac{(1-x_1)(1-x_2)...(1-x_{10})}{x_1x_2...x_{10}} \leq k## to see if I can turn this into a distribution that looks more familiar. But for some reason I wasn't able to do anything, so I was wondering if somebody would give me a hint so I can continue...

Thanks in advance

You should not have ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_{10}##. All samples are drawn from the same distribution, with some fixed but unknown ##x##.

Ray Vickson said:
You should not have ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_{10}##. All samples are drawn from the same distribution, with some fixed but unknown ##x##.

Thanks a lot.

We have,

##\frac{L(0)}{L(1)} = \frac{(1-x)^{10}}{x^{10}} = (\frac{1-x}{x})^{10}##

So,

##(\frac{1-x}{x})^{10} \leq k##

## \implies (\frac{1-x}{x}) \leq k^{1/10}##

##\implies \ln (\frac{1-x}{x}) \leq \frac{1}{10} \ln(k) ##

Let ##k' = \frac{1}{10} \ln(k)##, and let ##g(x) = \ln (\frac{1-x}{x})##. We can see that the second derivative of ##g(x)## is ##\frac{1}{1-x^2} + \frac{1}{x^2}##, which is positive for ##0 < x < 1##. So the function is concave upward.

But then ##g(x) \leq k'## is equivalent to ##c < x < c'## for some ##c## and ##c'## such that, for all ##x \leq c## and ##x \geq c'##, we have ##g(x) > k'##.

But we already have the distribution for ##X##, right?

Artusartos said:
Thanks a lot.

We have,

So,

Let ##k' = \frac{1}{10} \ln(k)##, and let ##g(x) = \ln (\frac{1-x}{x})##. We can see that the second derivative of ##g(x)## is ##\frac{1}{1-x^2} + \frac{1}{x^2}##, which is positive for ##0 < x < 1##. So the function is concave upward.

But then ##g(x) \leq k'## is equivalent to ##c < x < c'## for some ##c## and ##c'## such that, for all ##x \leq c## and ##x \geq c'##, we have ##g(x) > k'##.

You claim that ##g(x) = \ln (\frac{1-x}{x})## is a convex function (I refuse to use the old-fashioned terms concave up or concave down), but that is false: you have computed ##g''(x)## incorrectly. The function g(x) switches from convex to concave as x increases from 0 to 1.

Ray Vickson said:
You claim that ##g(x) = \ln (\frac{1-x}{x})## is a convex function (I refuse to use the old-fashioned terms concave up or concave down), but that is false: you have computed ##g''(x)## incorrectly. The function g(x) switches from convex to concave as x increases from 0 to 1.

Thanks. But we do know that ##\frac{1-x}{x}## is convex...so we can come up with a similar result, right? (without taking the ln of both sides). Is that right?

Ray Vickson said:
(I refuse to use the old-fashioned terms concave up or concave down)

Damn! I must of missed when they went out of fashion.

Ray Vickson said:
The samples DO NOT have the same fixed but unknown x.
He should have the subscripts. It is true that the x values are from the same distribution, but calling each one x is not correct. In particular, the ratio of likelihoods at 0 and 1 IS NOT

[tex]
\frac{(1-x)^{10}}{x^{10}}
[/tex]

Look, for example, at the relevant sections of an introductory text such as Hogg/Craig or intermediate texts like Bickel and Doksum, or any more recent mathematical stat text.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Damn! I must of missed when they went out of fashion.

Most modern optimization textbooks (say, written after about the mid 1960s) seem to have abandoned the concave up/down nomenclature. Calculus texts often still use it, though. I guess it has not been standardized.

Artusartos said:
Thanks a lot.

We have,

So,

Sorry: I take back what I said at first: I guess ##X## is the random variable and ##\theta## the parameter, so you should have ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_{10}##! I am going to stop posting very late at night as an insomnia cure.

I think I see your problem, but can only tell you what I would do if I were a Bayesian. As a Bayesian, I would essentially view ##\theta## as a random quantity with prior probabilities
[tex] P\{\theta = 0 \} = p_0, \: P\{ \theta = 1 \} = q_0 \equiv 1 - p_0.[/tex]
The posterior probabilities would be
[tex] P\{ \theta = 0 | x_1, x_2 , \ldots, x_n \} =
\frac{p_0 f(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n|\theta = 0)}{f(x_1,x_2, \ldots, x_n)}, \text{ where}\\
f(x_1,x_2, \ldots, x_n) = p_0 f(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n|\theta = 0)
+ q_0 f(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n|\theta = 1) \text{ and}\\
f(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n|\theta = 0) = 2^n (1-x_1)(1-x_2) \cdots (1-x_n), \;
f(x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n|\theta = 1) = 2^n x_1 x_2 \cdots x_n[/tex]
with ##P\{ \theta = 1 | x_1, x_2 , \ldots, x_n \}= 1-P\{ \theta = 0 | x_1, x_2 , \ldots, x_n \}.##
Thus, if we set ##P = x_1 x_2 \cdots x_n##, ##Q = (1-x_1)(1-x_2) \cdots (1-x_n),## and if we had a uniform prior (##p_0 = q_0 = 1/2##) we would have
[tex] P\{\theta = 1|X\} = \frac{Q}{Q+P}.[/tex]

I'm not sure what you would do if you were not a Bayesian.

Likes 1 person

Related to Statistics: describing a best critical region of size alpha.

1. What is a critical region in statistics?

A critical region in statistics is a range of values within a distribution that is used to determine the rejection of a null hypothesis. It is also referred to as the rejection region.

2. How is the size of a critical region determined?

The size of a critical region, also known as alpha (α), is determined by the significance level of a statistical test. It is typically set at 0.05 or 0.01, indicating a 5% or 1% chance of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true.

3. What does it mean to have a "best" critical region?

In statistics, a "best" critical region is one that maximizes the power of a statistical test. This means that it is more likely to correctly reject the null hypothesis when it is false, and therefore, increases the chances of obtaining a significant result.

4. How does a critical region affect the type I error rate?

A critical region has a direct impact on the type I error rate, also known as alpha (α). As the size of the critical region increases, the chance of committing a type I error (rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true) also increases.

5. Can the critical region be modified in a statistical test?

Yes, the critical region can be modified in a statistical test. In fact, it is often adjusted to control the type I error rate or to increase the power of the test. One way to modify the critical region is by changing the significance level (α), which determines the size of the critical region.