1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[statistics] find the efficient estimator: where is my reasoning wrong?

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an efficient estimator for [itex]q(\lambda) := e^{-\lambda}[/itex] in a Poisson model.
    (note: the efficient estimator is the one who reaches the Cramér-Rao lower bound)

2. Relevant equations
    The Cramér-Rao lower bound:
    Let T be an unbiased estimator for q (as defined above), then [itex]Var(T) \geq \frac{q'(\lambda)^2}{I_n(\lambda)}[/itex], with [itex]I_n(\lambda)[/itex] the Fisher information number for the parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] in the Poisson model, from the sample [itex]\vec X = (X_1,\cdots,X_n)[/itex].

Concretely, in this case [itex]Var(T) \geq \frac{ \lambda e^{-2\lambda}}{n} [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first things first: I want an unbiased estimator for q. As a guess, I took the form [itex]T(\vec X) = \alpha^{\sum X_i}[/itex]. Calculating the mean shows that one gets an unbiased estimator if one defines [itex]T(\vec X) := \left( \frac{n-1}{n} \right)^{\sum X_i}[/itex].

Now my reasoning was as follows: this unbiased esimator only depends on [itex]\sum X_i[/itex], i.e. a complete and sufficient statistic (follows, for example, from the Poisson distribution belonging to the exponential class). Hence by Lehman-Scheffé, T as defined above is an UMVUE. Now, if the Cramér-Rao bound is reached (as the exercise suggests), then it must surely be the UMVUE who reaches it. Hence I thought I had the correct estimator.

However, when I calculate the variance, I get that [itex]Var(T) = E(T^2) - E(T)^2 = e^{-2 \lambda} \left( e^{\lambda / n} - 1 \right)[/itex]. This is not equal to the lower bound (it is, however, for very large n, but that's not enough, but it at least suggests I didn't make a calculation error).

Can anybody help? Much appreciated!

ADDENDUM:
    While writing the red text above, I realised it also depends on n explicitly. Is this important? I don't think so.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?