[statistics] find the efficient estimator: where is my reasoning wrong?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the task is to find an efficient estimator for q(\lambda) = e^{-\lambda} in a Poisson model, where the efficient estimator is the one that reaches the Cramér-Rao lower bound. The Cramér-Rao lower bound states that for an unbiased estimator T, the variance of T is greater than or equal to q'(\lambda)^2/I_n(\lambda). The attempt at a solution involved finding an unbiased estimator T(\vec X) = \left( \frac{n-1}{n} \right)^{\sum X_i} and using Lehman-Scheffé to show that it is also the UMVUE. However, upon calculating the variance, it was found that Var
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

Find an efficient estimator for [itex]q(\lambda) := e^{-\lambda}[/itex] in a Poisson model.
(note: the efficient estimator is the one who reaches the Cramér-Rao lower bound)

Homework Equations

The Cramér-Rao lower bound:
Let T be an unbiased estimator for q (as defined above), then [itex]Var(T) \geq \frac{q'(\lambda)^2}{I_n(\lambda)}[/itex], with [itex]I_n(\lambda)[/itex] the Fisher information number for the parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] in the Poisson model, from the sample [itex]\vec X = (X_1,\cdots,X_n)[/itex].

Concretely, in this case [itex]Var(T) \geq \frac{ \lambda e^{-2\lambda}}{n} [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So first things first: I want an unbiased estimator for q. As a guess, I took the form [itex]T(\vec X) = \alpha^{\sum X_i}[/itex]. Calculating the mean shows that one gets an unbiased estimator if one defines [itex]T(\vec X) := \left( \frac{n-1}{n} \right)^{\sum X_i}[/itex].

Now my reasoning was as follows: this unbiased esimator only depends on [itex]\sum X_i[/itex], i.e. a complete and sufficient statistic (follows, for example, from the Poisson distribution belonging to the exponential class). Hence by Lehman-Scheffé, T as defined above is an UMVUE. Now, if the Cramér-Rao bound is reached (as the exercise suggests), then it must surely be the UMVUE who reaches it. Hence I thought I had the correct estimator.

However, when I calculate the variance, I get that [itex]Var(T) = E(T^2) - E(T)^2 = e^{-2 \lambda} \left( e^{\lambda / n} - 1 \right)[/itex]. This is not equal to the lower bound (it is, however, for very large n, but that's not enough, but it at least suggests I didn't make a calculation error).

Can anybody help? Much appreciated!

ADDENDUM:
While writing the red text above, I realized it also depends on n explicitly. Is this important? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While the value of n affects the variance, it does not affect the expectation value, so I think the estimator is still unbiased. Am I right?

Related to [statistics] find the efficient estimator: where is my reasoning wrong?

1. How do I determine the efficient estimator in statistics?

The efficient estimator in statistics is determined by finding the estimator that has the smallest variance among all unbiased estimators. This estimator is known as the minimum variance unbiased estimator (MVUE).

2. What is the purpose of finding the efficient estimator?

The purpose of finding the efficient estimator is to obtain the most accurate and precise estimate of a population parameter. This estimator minimizes the amount of error in the estimation process.

3. Can an estimator be efficient and biased?

No, an efficient estimator must be unbiased. Bias refers to the difference between the expected value of an estimator and the true value of the population parameter. An efficient estimator minimizes this bias, making it unbiased.

4. How is the efficiency of an estimator measured?

The efficiency of an estimator is measured by its variance. An estimator with a smaller variance is considered more efficient, as it has less variability in its estimates.

5. Is the efficient estimator always the best estimator to use?

The efficient estimator is not always the best estimator to use. It is only the best among unbiased estimators. In some cases, a biased estimator may have a smaller mean squared error (MSE) and can provide a more accurate estimate. It is important to consider the trade-off between bias and variance when choosing an estimator.