Understanding Regression: Calculating Proportion of Change with r Values

• Thread starter reallytrying
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of regression and includes questions about the relationship between two variables (X and Y). The first question asks about the proportion of change in Y that can be attributed to the change in X, while the second question asks about the proportion that is not related to the change in X. The person asking the questions admits to not fully understanding the topic and asks for help. They also provide a link to a simulation that can aid in understanding the concept of r^2.
reallytrying
:bugeye:
I'm working on regression. Here's the question.

If r = .77, what proportion of the change in Y is due to the change in X?

And:

If r = -.68, how much of the change in y is not related to the change in X?

I guess I was in orbit or something the day we covered this. Thanks for any help anybody can give me. Many, many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a Java enabled browser, you can learn a lot about this topic from the simulation you will find here.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~lane/stat_sim/comp_r/index.html

It's worth your time. There are several other statistics demos at this site worth exploring.

For one thing, you will find

r^2 = explained/(explained + unexplained).

Last edited:

Hi there! Don't worry, understanding regression can be tricky at first but with some practice, it will become easier. To answer your question, the r value, also known as the correlation coefficient, represents the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. In this case, r = .77 means there is a strong positive relationship between X and Y. This means that 77% of the change in Y can be explained by the change in X. In other words, 77% of the variation in Y can be attributed to the variation in X.

On the other hand, if r = -.68, there is a strong negative relationship between X and Y. This means that 68% of the change in Y is not related to the change in X. In other words, 68% of the variation in Y cannot be explained by the variation in X. The remaining 32% could be due to other factors or random chance.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of proportion of change with r values. Keep practicing and you'll have a better understanding in no time. Best of luck!

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data. It is used to make sense of large amounts of information and to make informed decisions based on the data.

2. Why is statistics important?

Statistics is important because it allows us to understand and interpret data in a meaningful way. It helps us make informed decisions, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions. It is used in various fields such as science, business, healthcare, and more.

3. How can statistics help me in my research?

Statistics can help in research by providing a framework for collecting and analyzing data. It can help identify patterns, relationships, and trends in the data, which can be used to draw conclusions and make predictions. It can also help in making decisions about the validity and reliability of the research findings.

4. What are some common statistical methods?

Some common statistical methods include descriptive statistics, which involves summarizing and describing data, and inferential statistics, which involves making predictions and drawing conclusions based on a sample of data. Other methods include correlation analysis, regression analysis, and hypothesis testing.

5. How can I improve my understanding of statistics?

To improve your understanding of statistics, it is important to practice and apply the concepts to real-world problems. You can also read books, attend workshops or online courses, and seek help from a tutor or mentor. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills.