1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stats posterior probability gamma conjugate family

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Question

Find the posterior probability that the next two observations y4 and y5 will both be zero? Where the prior distribution is a gamma with parameters (a,b) and the sample is of size of 3 taking from a poisson disribution with parameter V.

So far I have shown that the posterior distribution is also gamma with parameters a*=a+t, where t=y1+y2+...yn, and b*=b+n, n the sample size.

Attempt at the solution

In my notes, a different question but all i have on my notes on this- is that the probability of exactly the next observation being 1 is given as:
    ##P(y=1 | D)= \int^{\infty}_{0} P(y=1|V) P(V|D) dV,## So wheree P(V|D) is the updated posterior gamma distribution,

where D is the data, the observations y1+...+yn.

This is for one sample and I'm unsure how to approach for 2 samples. The ideas I have are:
    1) Compute ##P(y=0 | D)= \int^{\infty}_{0} P(y=1|V) P(V|D) dV## , and then since we want consecutvie 0 to just square this.
    2) To compute ##P(y4=0 an y5=0)=\int^{\infty}_{0} P(y4=1 and y5=1|V) P(V|D) dV## , so i.e. is proportional to ##e^{-2V}## ,

Are any of these methods correct? Could someone please explain which is right or wrong, or if both or wrong and what I should be doing,

Thanks for any help, really appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted