DECIGO: Launch Date & Funding Status

• Thread starter skydivephil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation reveals that the Wikipedia page for DECIGO states a launch date of 2027, which raises questions about its funding and whether it is just a proposal. However, a roadmap document suggests that there is international support for the project and plans for its implementation. While it does not provide a definitive answer, it implies that funds will be allocated and priorities will be determined as the launch date approaches.
Space news on Phys.org
This brief may answer your question:

http://www.aei.mpg.de/47373/Roadmap_04052011-Final_web.pdf

While not definitive, it seems multi-country consortia and main stream science are behind the effort.

Thansk for that, didnt see it mention DECIGO but nice document . its just great ot hear there is international support for but has any money actualy been put on the table for it? Do we have any reason to believe a 2027 launch date?

Last edited:
check page 12 of 118 pages and you'll find it on column 2.

I think the presumption of the document is that funds will be there and that the scientific community interested in this research must plan what to do with them. As the time gets closer then priorities and more recent research dictate what is the best course of action and thus whether DECIGO becomes a reality.

So I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer beyond this document right now.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for that JEdishufu, I see the mention of DECIGO in the document but again nothing to justify a 2027 launch as per the wikipedia page. i really hope its true though, but somehow I doubt it.

1. When is DECIGO expected to launch?

DECIGO, which stands for Deci-hertz Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, is expected to launch in the late 2030s. However, the exact launch date is still to be determined as the project is still in its early stages.

2. What is the purpose of DECIGO?

DECIGO is a space-based gravitational-wave detector designed to observe and study gravitational waves in the deci-hertz frequency range. It aims to detect gravitational waves from a variety of sources, including black hole mergers and supernovae, providing valuable insights into the nature of the universe.

3. How much funding has been allocated for DECIGO?

The funding status for DECIGO is constantly changing as the project progresses. However, in 2019, the Japanese government approved a budget of 75 billion yen (approximately 680 million USD) for the construction of DECIGO. Additional funding will be required for the launch and operation of the observatory.

4. What sets DECIGO apart from other gravitational-wave detectors?

DECIGO is unique in that it operates in the deci-hertz frequency range, which is lower than the frequencies detected by other gravitational-wave detectors such as LIGO and Virgo. This allows DECIGO to observe a wider range of sources and potentially detect gravitational waves from events that are not detectable by other detectors.

5. Will DECIGO be able to detect gravitational waves from the early universe?

It is possible that DECIGO may be able to detect gravitational waves from the early universe, also known as primordial gravitational waves. However, this is not the primary goal of the observatory, and further research and development is needed to optimize its capabilities for this type of detection.