1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady state conduction in a hollow sphere

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I'm having trouble with a conduction problem, I have access to the answer but not the solution. I did it on my own and my value is half of what the answer is. Now, my calculus is a little rusty, but I don't know where I am going wrong. So the dimensions and temperatures of the sphere are:

ri=0.01 m
    ro=0.02 m
    Ti=70 oC
    To=100 oC
    k=0.58 W/m K

Attempt:

q/A = -k dT/dr

q/A dr = -k dT

Where A = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2 then

q ∫ dr/r2 evaluated from ri to ro = -4 [itex]\pi[/itex] k ∫ dT from Ti to To yields...

-q (ro-1 - ri-1) = -4 [itex]\pi[/itex] k (To - Ti)

Substituting in the values, I get q = 4 [itex]\pi[/itex] [(0.58)(100-70)](0.02-0.01) = 2.18 W

The actual answer is double that and negative, -4.37 W. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2
    Your algebraic solution is correct, but you substituted into it incorrectly. The problem is with the ro and ri. You should have (1/ri-1/ro) in the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook