Is the Steinhardt-Turok Cyclic Model Gaining Support?

In summary, the cyclic model proposed by Steinhardt and Turok is one of many speculative models in cosmology, and is based on controversial physics and string theory. While it is well-conceived, it has not gained widespread acceptance and is still subject to debate and speculation. Many other models, including LCDM and MOND, also have their limitations and new theories are continuously being developed.
Descartz2000
I typically post in the QM section, but I was reading an article about the cyclic model and wanted input on if this model of Steinhardt–Turok is widely accepted, is gaining support, has been upgraded, or replaced by something more current?

Space news on Phys.org
Descartz2000 said:
I typically post in the QM section, but I was reading an article about the cyclic model and wanted input on if this model of Steinhardt–Turok is widely accepted, is gaining support, has been upgraded, or replaced by something more current?
All such models are at present considered exceedingly speculative, with no real reason to favor anyone particular model over any other.

The problem with the Steinhardt-Turok model is that it bases many of it's ideas off of string theory which remains theoretical. So in a way it's controversial cosmology based on controversial physics.

I give the guys credit, they take a stab at it based on string theory - which is itself open to debate. It's a reasonably well conceived theory with the usual addon speculations. Right now, I know of no model that is less than speculative. LCDM is a fine model, but, still has some bus sized holes. Heck, even MOND is still sticking needles in that balloon. The more important thing is to keep new theories flowing. One of them might actually improve on what we now have.

1. What is the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model?

The Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model is a cosmological model proposed by Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok in 2002. It suggests that the universe undergoes an endless cycle of contraction and expansion, with each cycle lasting trillions of years. It is an alternative to the Big Bang theory and aims to solve some of the problems with the traditional model.

2. How does the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model differ from the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory proposes that the universe began with a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model, on the other hand, suggests that the universe experiences a series of cycles, with each one beginning with a big crunch (contraction) and ending with a big bang (expansion).

3. What evidence supports the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model is the observed large-scale structure of the universe, which shows patterns and structures that cannot be explained by the Big Bang theory. Additionally, the model can account for the observed homogeneity and isotropy of the universe, as well as the existence of dark matter and dark energy.

4. What are the criticisms of the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model?

One criticism of the model is that it does not provide a clear explanation for the initial conditions of the universe, such as the source of the energy for each cycle. Additionally, some scientists argue that the model does not fully account for the observed cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

5. What are the implications of the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model?

The Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. If the model is correct, it would mean that the universe has been in existence for an infinite amount of time and has undergone an infinite number of cycles. It could also lead to a better understanding of the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and potentially provide new insights into the fundamental laws of physics.