Stellar Evolution: After Hydrogen Exhaustion

In summary, after hydrogen exhaustion in low mass stars, the core becomes inert and continues contracting until it reaches the Schönberg-Chandrasekhar limit of 0.1 times the mass of the star. At this stage, the core is isothermal due to the absence of nuclear burning and a radiative temperature gradient. The contraction of the core triggers hydrogen shell burning, causing the accumulation of matter onto the inert core until the limit is reached. This explains the intermediate stage between exhaustion and rapid core contraction.
vertices
why after hydrogen exhaustion (of low mass stars) does the the core become isothermal. (according to my notes)

I mean, after exhaustion, its all helium, and it keeps on contracting right? So by the virial therem it must heat up (so by definition, it is NOT isothermal)! Indeed it must do so so as to trigger hydrogen shell burning.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you're right, but missing a stage between the exhaustion and rapid contraction of the core. I always thought there was an intermediate stage where the core released energy gravitationally until a critical mass was reached (there's a name to the limit, probably to do with Chandrasekhar!) and rapid core contraction happened. It is this stage that's isothermal, not the rapid contraction.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schönberg-Chandrasekhar_limit

thanks astrorob...

Yes you are right.

1)hydrogen burns in shell around inert core (shell-burning phase)

2)*The core grows until Mass of core DIVIDED by Mass of star ~ 0.1. (Schoneberg - Chandresekar limit)*

3)At this stage, the core the thermal pressure is not sufficient to balance gravitational pressure and it rapidly contracts...

questions:

a)am i wrong about the fact that the inner core must heat up to trigger hydrogen shell burning? Or does this just occur spontaneously when the core hydrogen is depleted?

b)why is the core isothermal between stages (1) and (2) anyway? What's the physical explanation for this?

i) The only reason the core becomes inert is because it uses its fuel up much faster than the outermost layers. Normally hydrogen continues burning in a shell which causes the accumulation of matter onto the inert core until the SC limit is reached.

ii) It arises from the fact that there is no nuclear burning and the temperature gradient is radiative, so its thermal stratification is essentially isothermal.

astrorob said:
i) The only reason the core becomes inert is because it uses its fuel up much faster than the outermost layers. Normally hydrogen continues burning in a shell which causes the accumulation of matter onto the inert core until the SC limit is reached.

ii) It arises from the fact that there is no nuclear burning and the temperature gradient is radiative, so its thermal stratification is essentially isothermal.

thanks rob.

no problem buddy, glad to be of help.

What is stellar evolution?

Stellar evolution is the process by which a star changes over time. It involves the birth, life, and death of a star, as well as the physical and chemical changes that occur throughout its lifetime.

What happens after a star's hydrogen supply is exhausted?

After a star runs out of hydrogen in its core, it begins to fuse helium into heavier elements through the process of nuclear fusion. This causes the star to expand and become a red giant.

How long does it take for a star to exhaust its hydrogen supply?

The amount of time it takes for a star to exhaust its hydrogen supply depends on its initial mass. For a star like our sun, it can take approximately 10 billion years. However, for more massive stars, this process can occur much more quickly, in just a few million years.

What is the end result of stellar evolution?

The end result of stellar evolution depends on the mass of the star. For lower mass stars, like our sun, the star will eventually become a white dwarf. For more massive stars, they may end their lives as neutron stars or black holes.

How does the exhaustion of hydrogen impact a star's luminosity and temperature?

As a star exhausts its hydrogen supply and begins fusing heavier elements, its luminosity and temperature will increase. This is because the fusion of heavier elements releases more energy, causing the star to become brighter and hotter.