Step on design gearbox for speed reducer

In summary: The first step is to decide what ratio you need. If you're using a spur gear with a ratio of 2:1, you'll need to find a gear size that will produce an output speed of 180rpm. If you're using a spur gear with a ratio of 25:9, you'll need to find a gear size that will produce an output speed of 1000rpm.
superpaul91
Anyone can guide me how to design gearbox on speed reducer?

If I using spur gear on my design which type of spur gear has better lifetime and lower cost?
1) Brass Spur Gears
2) Steel Spur Gears
3) Stainless Steel Spur Gears
4) Ground Spur Gears

If Steady-state input speed 1000 rpm and Steady-state output speed 180 rpm so
1000/180 = 50/9 by factor this ratio I get 2:1 and 25/9:1

For my N2/N1 is better use ratio 2:1 or 25/9:1 ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid in it's current form there isn't really a question to answer properly. As the answer is 'it depends'.
You've also included three materials and one manufacturing method.

What's the loading, the duty cycle, the required durability? How many sets do you need? Are there any standard you have to design to?

I'm not quite sure what you've done with the second part of the question either, as you are either doing a two stage reduction, so you need both ratios. Or you aren't getting the ratio you require.

xxChrisxx said:
I'm afraid in it's current form there isn't really a question to answer properly. As the answer is 'it depends'.
You've also included three materials and one manufacturing method.

What's the loading, the duty cycle, the required durability? How many sets do you need? Are there any standard you have to design to?

I'm not quite sure what you've done with the second part of the question either, as you are either doing a two stage reduction, so you need both ratios. Or you aren't getting the ratio you require.

Sorry for my poor english,
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51083&stc=1&d=1348285245 (https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51083&stc=1&d=1348285245)
The expected life of the unit is 5 years, which is based on 8 hours per day and 5 days a week. A maximum of 5% failures are allowed over the design life of the unit. Minimise on the overall package size.I read through KHK 3011 catalog (http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/catalogs/pdf/3011en.pdf) I found that there are many type of spur gear and module so I want to know which type of spur gear can fulfil the need of client and have smallest overall package size.

Then i try out 1st step which finding the gear size, in my case i using ratio 2:1 for my N2/N1 but some of my friend using 25/9:1 for N2/N1 so i confuse about which ratio I going to choose for my N2/N1 ratio?

Last edited:

1. What is a step on design gearbox for speed reducer?

A step on design gearbox for speed reducer is a type of gearbox that uses step-on gears to reduce the speed of an input shaft and increase the torque of an output shaft. It is commonly used in industrial applications to provide a slower, more powerful rotational motion.

2. How does a step on design gearbox work?

A step on design gearbox works by using a series of gears with different sizes to reduce the speed of an input shaft. The gears have varying numbers of teeth, with the larger gears having more teeth than the smaller ones. As the input shaft rotates, it turns the first gear, which then meshes with the second gear, and so on, until the desired output speed is achieved.

3. What are the benefits of using a step on design gearbox for speed reducer?

There are several benefits to using a step on design gearbox for speed reducer. It allows for precise speed reduction, increased torque, and improved efficiency. It also has a compact design, making it suitable for tight spaces, and it can handle heavy loads and high shock loads without damaging the gears.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a step on design gearbox for speed reducer?

When selecting a step on design gearbox for speed reducer, it is important to consider the required speed reduction ratio, input and output shaft sizes, power requirements, and the type of load the gearbox will be handling. It is also essential to choose a reputable and reliable manufacturer to ensure the quality and durability of the gearbox.

5. How do you maintain a step on design gearbox for speed reducer?

To maintain a step on design gearbox for speed reducer, it is crucial to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, which may include regular oil changes, gear inspections, and bearing replacements. It is also essential to keep the gearbox clean and free of debris and to address any issues or unusual noises immediately to prevent further damage.