Step Validity with the Fourier Transform of Convolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of a set of steps for computing the function f(x,y) using the Fourier Transform. While the steps may work in principle, they may run into trouble at points where a certain term is equal to zero. This approach is commonly used in solving analytical integral equations, but may lead to noisy results when applied to deconvolving images. There are many other approaches and techniques for deconvolution, such as CLEAN and maximum entropy, and the field of inverse problems deals with this type of problem.
ecastro
A convolution can be expressed in terms of Fourier Transform as thus,

##\mathcal{F}\left\{f \ast g\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{f\right\} \cdot \mathcal{F}\left\{g\right\}##.

Considering this equation:

##g\left(x, y\right) = h\left(x, y\right) \ast f\left(x, y\right)##

Are these steps valid if I were to compute for ##f\left(x, y\right)##?

##\mathcal{F}\left\{g\left(x, y\right)\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right) \ast f\left(x, y\right)\right\} \\

\mathcal{F}\left\{g\left(x, y\right)\right\} = \mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right)\right\} \cdot \mathcal{F}\left\{f\left(x, y\right)\right\} \\

\frac{\mathcal{F}\left\{g\left(x, y\right)\right\}}{\mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right)\right\}} = \mathcal{F}\left\{f\left(x, y\right)\right\} \\

\mathcal{F}^{-1}\left\{\frac{\mathcal{F}\left\{g\left(x, y\right)\right\}}{\mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right)\right\}}\right\} = f\left(x, y\right)##

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One way to quickly check for invalidity is to try it with a few simple exemplar functions. Working does not guarantee validity, but not working guarantees invalidity.

In principle it can be fine, but you will run into trouble at points where
[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right)\right\} = 0
[/tex]
This happens more often than you might think.

jason

jasonRF said:
In principle it can be fine, but you will run into trouble at points where
[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left\{h\left(x, y\right)\right\} = 0
[/tex]
This happens more often than you might think.

jason

Indeed. However, isn't solving for ##f\left(x, y\right)## the same as de-convolution?

Yes, this is deconvolution. As long as the denominator has no zeros and your known quantities (g and h) have NO noise, then the direct inversion you are proposing might be okay (EDIT: but also might not be okay!). In the real world, we usually have noise, and there can be zeros of functions, so deconvolution is more complicated. There are many many approaches ( I am not an expert in this)- you can find books, PhD dissertations, etc. on this topic. Google may help you. Note that deconvolution is an exmaple of an inverse problem, so google "inverse problems" and "deconvolution".

One short hit:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Deconvolution.html

jason

ecastro,

I realize that I have been thinking about this in the framework of deconvolving images, or other numerical problems. If you are doing this to solve an analytical integral equation then your approach is certainly one that is used.

jason

jasonRF said:
ecastro,

I realize that I have been thinking about this in the framework of deconvolving images, or other numerical problems. If you are doing this to solve an analytical integral equation then your approach is certainly one that is used.

jason

I am actually deconvolving images. So, is the approach still valid?

You can try it and see how it goes - what have you got to lose? However, it is often the case that the result is very noisy - how noisy depends on the initial image, the kernel that you are dividing by, etc. There are a large number of approaches to this - when I google I see a huge amount of material. I have personally used CLEAN for a case were teh image was sparse, and have worked with people that have used other approaches (maximum entropy based). There are a host of regularization techniques - the field of inverse problems deals with this kind of stuff. Astronomers and geophysicists work a lot in this field. good luck

jason

Likes ecastro
Thank you for your information and references!

What is Step Validity in relation to the Fourier Transform of Convolution?

Step validity refers to the fact that the Fourier Transform of Convolution is only valid for signals that are time-limited and have a finite number of discontinuities. This means that the signal must have a beginning and an end, and cannot have an infinite length or number of abrupt changes.

How does the Fourier Transform of Convolution work?

The Fourier Transform of Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two signals to produce a third signal. It involves taking the Fourier Transform of each signal, multiplying them together, and then taking the inverse Fourier Transform of the product. This results in a new signal that represents the convolution of the original two signals.

Why is Step Validity important in the Fourier Transform of Convolution?

Step validity is important because it ensures that the Fourier Transform of Convolution produces accurate results. Without step validity, the convolution operation may not accurately represent the behavior of the original signals, leading to incorrect conclusions or predictions.

What are some common applications of the Fourier Transform of Convolution?

The Fourier Transform of Convolution is commonly used in signal processing, image and audio processing, and in solving differential equations. It has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

How does Step Validity affect the accuracy of the Fourier Transform of Convolution?

If a signal does not meet the requirements for step validity, the Fourier Transform of Convolution may produce inaccurate results. This is because the operation relies on the signals being time-limited and having a finite number of discontinuities. If these conditions are not met, the convolution may not accurately represent the behavior of the original signals.