What is the optimal voltage for a stepper motor?

In summary, Dave tested out a stepper motor and found that it operates at 5.7 volts and 1 amp per phase. He found that if he exceeds the 5.7 volt rating, the motor may overheat and potentially smoke. He recommends using a resistor of about 10 watts to reduce the heat generated by the motor.
pekpek
Hello All,

I am a ME student but, I'm trying to teach myself EE. I am testing out a stepper motor. Here are the specs for the motor:

Rated Voltage: 5.7V
Rated Current: 1A per Phase
Resistance per Phase: 5.7V

I am using 15 VDC and want to make sure I don't blow the motor. Using Ohm's Law, VInput = R * IMotor, I get 15 = 1(I) which gives me a resistance of 15 ohms.

My Questions:
(1) What is rated voltage? Is that the optimal voltage for the stepper motor?
(2) What happens if I go above the rated voltage?
(3) If I use a 15 Ohm resistor, will this be enough so the motor doesn't blow?

I am clearly missing something here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there :)

Rated Voltage: 5.7V
Rated Current: 1A per Phase
Resistance per Phase: 5.7VThink you typo'ed there

resistance isn't measured in V ... is it 5.7 Ohms or something totally different ?

Dave

Yes. Sorry. The Resistance per phase is 5.7 ohms.

Bump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The V=5.7V and the R=5.7 Ohms? -- There are stepper motor controllers, and a large amount of info on line. If you just want to experiment with the motor - you probably want to get a voltage regulator, V value in the range of the Stepper motor's ratings, or an adjustable one.
If you are looking to actively control the stepper - then the best solution may depend on what you plan to use as a controller. -- the stepper motor is not a fixed resistance - so using a resistor as a voltage divider may not yield the result you are looking for.

Here's a decent tutorial

that seems to have started with this little TI intro
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/apps/motor/stepper_motors/overview.page
(1) What is rated voltage? Is that the optimal voltage for the stepper motor?
That'd be the voltage they expected you to use to make the motor step.
We don't know whether they intended you to reduce current between steps to "hold" it in place.

(2) What happens if I go above the rated voltage?
Overheat and maybe smoke.
(3) If I use a 15 Ohm resistor, will this be enough so the motor doesn't blow?
Probably. That'd give you 15 volts/20.7 ohms = 0.725 amp, which would generate only about half as much heat in the motor as a full amp..You'll need about a ten watt resistor . Maybe an automotive lamp would work.

Is there a part number on that motor?

I don't know a lot about steppers. They come in "unipolar" and "Bipolar", does yours indicate which it is ?
There are lot of educational kits, search on 'hobbyist stepper motor kit'
here's just one...
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1405.htm

Ramsey and Velleman are two familiar names in the kit industry.

Have fun.

old jim

1. What is the resistance of a stepper motor?

The resistance of a stepper motor varies depending on the specific motor and its specifications. It can range from a few ohms to several hundred ohms. The resistance is typically listed in the motor's datasheet or can be measured using a multimeter.

2. How does the resistance affect the performance of a stepper motor?

The resistance of a stepper motor affects its performance in several ways. A higher resistance motor will require more voltage to achieve the same current flow, which can limit its maximum speed and torque. Additionally, higher resistance can cause the motor to generate more heat and potentially overheat if not properly controlled.

3. Can the resistance of a stepper motor be changed?

The resistance of a stepper motor is determined by its internal design and cannot be changed by the user. However, some stepper motor drivers have the ability to adjust the current flow to the motor, which can indirectly affect its effective resistance.

4. How does the resistance of a stepper motor affect its power consumption?

A stepper motor with higher resistance will typically consume more power because it requires a higher voltage to achieve the desired current flow. This can also result in higher power dissipation and heat generation, which may require additional cooling measures.

5. Is there an optimal resistance for a stepper motor?

The optimal resistance for a stepper motor depends on its intended use and the specific application. A lower resistance motor may be more suitable for high-speed applications, while a higher resistance motor may be better for applications requiring higher torque. It is important to consider the overall performance and requirements of the motor when determining the optimal resistance for a specific application.