Finding the Metric in Stereographic Projection

In summary, the author is trying to find out how to find the metric in X,Y coordinates. They found that they needed to use spherical coordinates because they were parametrized with two parameters. The end of the story was that they realized they had been doing it the wrong way and needed to use the cotangent operator to do the stereographic projection.
mnb96
Hello,
if we consider the stereographic projection [itex]\mathcal{S}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] given in the form:

[tex](X,Y) = \left( \frac{x}{1-z} , \frac{y}{1-z} \right)[/tex]

how can I find the metric in X,Y coordinates?

-- Should I first express the projection in spherical coordinates, then find the inverse projection [itex]\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathcal{S}^2[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
hello mnb96! :smile:

start with spherical coordinates, and use a simplification for sin/(1 - cos) :wink:

I think they may be referring to the Riemannian metric. If this is so, then
the R-metric is a 2-form, so you just need to use the stereo projection
to pullback a 2-form.

oK, thanks to you both.
I tried the following:

I parametrized the S^2 sphere with coordinates [itex](\theta,\phi)[/itex], then I wrote down the transformation from the S^2 sphere (with spherical coordinates) to the XY plane (with polar coordinates):

[tex]R = \frac{\sin\theta}{1-\cos\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \phi[/tex]

Then I simply used the polar->cartesian transformation to obtain:

[tex]X(\theta,\phi) = \frac{\sin\theta \cos\phi}{1-\cos\theta}[/tex]

[tex]Y(\theta,\phi) = \frac{\sin\theta \sin\phi}{1-\cos\theta}[/tex]

At this point I was ready to compute the metric as:

[tex]ds^2 = dX^2 + dY^2 = \frac{1}{(1-\cos\theta)^2} \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta \cdot d\phi^2 \right)[/tex]

Was this correct?
@tiny-tim: I don't know what you meant by simplification for sin(x)/(1-cos(x))

sinx/(1 - cosx) = 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) / 2sin2(x/2) = cot(x/2) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
sinx/(1 - cosx) = 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2)/2sin2(x/2) = cot(x/2) :wink:

Ah, you meant that! :redface:
Thanks!

-- However, the end of the story was that we were forced to use spherical coordinates because we needed to parametrize a 2-dimensional surface with two parameters, and not three-parameters x,y,z plus a quadratic constraint.

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)

i think you're missing the obvious …

using coordinates θ and φ, you already have X = cot(θ/2)cosφ, Y = cot(θ/2)sinφ …

so change one of the coordinates again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)

i think you're missing the obvious …

using coordinates θ and φ, you already have X = cot(θ/2)cosφ, Y = cot(θ/2)sinφ …

so change one of the coordinates again! :smile:

Uhm...ah yes! maybe I got what you were trying to tell me :)
Darn, you were just suggesting me to use the geometrical definition of 'cotangent'. This way everything becomes almost trivial.

Actually now that I think about it, the cotangent operator itself does a stereographic projection of the 1-sphere onto the real line. Stupid me.

I think I missed it because I tried to directly work on the stereographic projection for the n-sphere.

he he! :biggrin:

1. What is stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is a method of representing a three-dimensional object or space onto a two-dimensional surface. It is commonly used in mathematics, cartography, and geology.

2. How does stereographic projection work?

In stereographic projection, a point on a three-dimensional object or space is projected onto a plane by drawing a line from the point to the center of a sphere. The point where the line intersects the plane is the projected point.

3. What is the purpose of stereographic projection?

The purpose of stereographic projection is to visualize and analyze complex three-dimensional objects or spaces in a simpler and more understandable two-dimensional form. It is especially useful in fields such as crystallography and geology.

4. What are the applications of stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection has various applications in different fields, including crystallography, geology, astronomy, and cartography. It is used to map the surfaces of planets, study crystal structures, and analyze geological formations.

5. Are there any limitations to stereographic projection?

While stereographic projection is a useful tool for visualizing three-dimensional objects, it does have some limitations. It cannot accurately represent curved or distorted surfaces, and it can only show one side of a three-dimensional object at a time.