Stern Gerlach Experiment

• Thread starter sokrates
  • Start date
You already managed to have a mentor a scientific advisor not interested in this discussion anymore.
Yeah too bad. And you already managed to make the thread irrelevant and unintelligible.

But instead, if you say, I KNOW my states, and they have only TWO possible outcomes, of course the problem becomes much simpler and probably they yield the same results, but it's just NOT that trivial, if you think about the details, and that's my whole point.
In any setting, there are many ways to do the calculation wrong and there are a few clever ways to solve the problem. I agree that it is not trivial that thinking in a unappropriate manner will lead to the same result as the simple and clever calculation.

In any setting, there are many ways to do the calculation wrong and there are a few clever ways to solve the problem. I agree that it is not trivial that thinking in a unappropriate manner will lead to the same result as the simple and clever calculation.
You wouldn't know the simple and clever calculation if it wasn't in every QM textbook. It appears that it didn't even occur to you how to do the problem EXACTLY. And finally, you cannot justify WHY the states can be written so simply (for a system of utmost delicacy (spins) and with reasonable complexity (non-uniform B-fields)) without referring to your beloved textbooks.

It now is obvious that you are not the bit of an expert who should take this question, so please don't pollute the thread and prevent me from learning from all the other people here. Maybe there's still a chance that somebody will respond after all this unnecessary fight.

It now is obvious that you are not the bit of an expert who should take this question, so please don't pollute the thread and prevent me from learning from all the other people here. Maybe there's still a chance that somebody will respond after all this unnecessary fight.
Very nice and civilized manner indeed.

If you like the gory details, you may read
Ph. A. Martin and M. Sassoli de Bianchi, "Spin precession revisited", Foundations of Physics Volume 24, Number 10 / October, 1994

Personally, I'd better get out of here.

Very nice and civilized manner indeed.

If you like the gory details, you may read
Ph. A. Martin and M. Sassoli de Bianchi, "Spin precession revisited", Foundations of Physics Volume 24, Number 10 / October, 1994

Personally, I'd better get out of here.

You could have given me this, 15 posts, and 4 hours earlier. But thank you anyway...
This might be it, "the gory details" ....
( I can't download it now, but I will. The first page gives an idea, but I still didn't see the non-uniform field)
Thanks anyway,

Spin Precession Revisited

Abstract: The passage of a spin-1/2neutral particle through a region of *uniform magnetic field* and the corresponding precession mechanism is analyzed from the viewpoint of scattering theory, with particular consideration of the role of the field boundaries.

I hope they have also treated the SG setup here... OR did you just google this without really looking?

The way I understand it is that the Stern-Gerlach experiment is a measurement device that splits the beam according to the projection of the spin component on the z-axis.

The quantum state of whatever makes up the beam isn't pure, meaning that the the z component of the spin can be expressed in terms of spins along the x or y axis, because of this it doesn't matter how you rotate the magnets you will still see the splitting.