1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stern-Gerlach Separation Distance on Target Film

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    I have a question in which we are instructed to find the separation distance between the two impact zones of Sodium atoms on a photographic plate:

A magnet of length l= 0.15m and field gradient [tex]\nabla[/tex]B= 9.0T/m over its full length is used in a Stern-Gerlach experiment. If a beam of Sodium atoms of velocity v=600m/s passes through this magnet and then strikes a photographic plate at a distance of d=0.80 m beyond the magnet, what will the separation between the two impact zones be on the film?
    Sodium has total-angular momentum of J=1/2, contributed by the spin of an electron of the 3s subshell.

I understand that as the electrons enter the magnet, half of the electrons will experience spin-up or spin-down depending if s is positive or negative and thus, there are only two permitted magnetic moments which gives two impact zones on the photo film.
    However, I am confused as to how to find the distance between the two impact zones based on the information given.

Any assistance is welcome!
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted