Sticky substance on HCl bottle

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl
In summary, the conversation is about removing a sticky residue from an old bottle of 12 M HCl that has caused discoloration on fabric. The residue could be leftover glue or greases and oils from a vacuum pump. Possible solutions mentioned include rinsing with water, using hexanes and acetone, and properly ventilating the lab. It is also suggested that the residue could be due to improper storage with volatile amines.
mishima
I found an old bottle of 12 M HCl that has a sticky residue on the outside of the bottle. It had a discoloring effect on blue fabric. How can I safely remove this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I guess that was a little vague. I'm asking how to clean the bottle, not the fabric.

The bottle was inside an acid cabinet, but not a bag alone. It had white crystals near the spout.

Have you tried rinsing the bottle in water? White crystals might be amine chlorides. This would indicate that sometime during the bottle's history it was improperly stored with volatile amines... usually ammonium hydroxide. Sticky residues can be anything. If the lab uses vacuum pumps and the exhaust from those pumps is not ventilated properly, you can get volatiles from experiments (bad ju ju!) and vacuum pump oil inside someplace like the cabinet beneath a vented hood where acids like this are sometimes stored. In my experience, sticky substances are usually greases and oils from a pump and are best removed with something like hexanes followed by acetone.

YMMV

Probably leftover glue left after the label was peeled off. Some volatile vapours might had stuck to it, causing that discoloration.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The sticky substance on the HCl bottle is most likely a result of the chemical reaction between the hydrochloric acid and the plastic material of the bottle. This reaction can cause the plastic to break down and release a sticky residue.

To safely remove this residue, I would recommend wearing protective gloves and eyewear before handling the bottle. Then, using a mild detergent or soap, gently wash the affected area of the bottle with warm water. You can also try using a mixture of baking soda and water to scrub the residue off.

If the residue is stubborn, you can also try using a diluted solution of ammonia and water. However, be cautious as ammonia can be corrosive and should only be used in a well-ventilated area.

After removing the residue, make sure to thoroughly rinse the bottle with water and dry it completely before storing it. It is also important to properly dispose of the old bottle as the residue may still contain traces of hydrochloric acid.

In the future, it is best to store hydrochloric acid in a glass bottle or a plastic bottle that is specifically designed to withstand its corrosive properties. Thank you for taking the necessary precautions and for being mindful of the potential hazards of handling chemicals.

1. What is the sticky substance on the HCl bottle?

The sticky substance on the HCl (hydrochloric acid) bottle is most likely a residue left from the acid that has dried or spilled on the bottle's surface.

2. Is the sticky substance dangerous?

The sticky substance on the HCl bottle may be corrosive and can cause skin irritation or burns if touched. It is important to handle the bottle with caution and wear protective gloves when handling the bottle.

3. How did the sticky substance get on the bottle?

The sticky substance on the HCl bottle may have gotten on the bottle through spills or splashes during use. It could also be residue from previous use that was not properly cleaned off.

4. Can the sticky substance be removed?

Yes, the sticky substance can be removed by using a mild soap and water solution to clean the bottle. It is important to thoroughly rinse the bottle afterwards to ensure no residue is left behind.

5. Is it safe to use the HCl bottle with the sticky substance on it?

No, it is not safe to use the HCl bottle with the sticky substance on it. The residue can contaminate the acid and potentially cause harm when used in experiments. It is important to clean the bottle before using it again.