Stokes' Theorem formula question

In summary, dS can be broken down into dA by parameterizing the surface S in terms of u and v and using the formula dS = ±(R_u × R_v)dudv. This can then be used in the double integral of region D (curl F * grad f) dA. The n value is equal to grad f / (magnitude of grad f) and the dS is equal to the same as the magnitude of grad f, with A coming from area and S coming from surface.
aimee3
eq0002M.gif

I was wondering, how you break down dS to something with dA? I know that dS is equal to ndS. The n is equal to grad f / (magnitude of grad f) and the dS is equal to the same as the magnitude of grad f right? So is the formula the same as double integral of region D (curl F * grad f) dA?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what f is (as opposed to F), but yes, that should be it.
(A comes from area, while S comes from surface - it is basically the same)

aimee3 said:
eq0002M.gif

I was wondering, how you break down dS to something with dA? I know that dS is equal to ndS. The n is equal to grad f / (magnitude of grad f) and the dS is equal to the same as the magnitude of grad f right? So is the formula the same as double integral of region D (curl F * grad f) dA?

Let's say you parameterize your surface S in terms of u and v as

[tex]\vec R = \vec R(u,v) [/tex]

Now since

[tex]dS = |\vec R_u\times \vec R_v|dudv[/tex]
and
[tex]\hat n =\pm\frac{\vec R_u\times\vec R_v}{|\vec R_u\times\vec R_v|}[/tex]
with the sign chosen to agree with the orientation of the surface, you have
[tex]d\vec S =\hat n dS =\pm\frac{\vec R_u\times\vec R_v}{|\vec R_u\times\vec R_v|}
|\vec R_u\times\vec R_v|dudv=\pm\vec R_u\times \vec R_vdudv[/tex]
This allows you to express everything in terms of u and v with appropriate uv limits.

1. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical formula used in vector calculus to relate a surface integral over a closed surface to a line integral around the boundary of that surface.

2. When is Stokes' Theorem used?

Stokes' Theorem is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also a fundamental tool in the study of differential geometry.

3. How is Stokes' Theorem different from the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Stokes' Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus are both used to relate integrals over different dimensions, but they are different in that the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus only applies to one-dimensional integrals while Stokes' Theorem applies to two-dimensional integrals.

4. What is the formula for Stokes' Theorem?

The formula for Stokes' Theorem is: ∫S (curl F) · dS = ∫C F · dr, where S is a surface bounded by a closed curve C, curl F is the curl of a vector field F, and dS and dr are differential elements along the surface and curve, respectively.

5. How is Stokes' Theorem related to Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem, where the surface S is a two-dimensional region in the xy-plane. This means that the closed curve C bounding the surface is a simple, closed curve in the plane. In this case, the formula for Stokes' Theorem reduces to the formula for Green's Theorem.