Understanding Stoke's Theorem on a Cube: Exploring Surfaces and Normal Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stoke's Theorem to evaluate a specific integral involving curl and a given vector function. The solution involves considering two surfaces and a boundary line, and a normal vector is also mentioned. It is suggested to use a different surface choice to simplify the calculation. The conversation ends with the original poster thanking Galileo for their help and mentioning getting an answer of zero using a parameterization method.
Benny
Hi, can someone help me through the following question.

Q. Use Stoke's Theorem to evaluate [tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {curl\mathop F\limits^ \to } } \bullet d\mathop S\limits^ \to [/tex]

Here [tex]\mathop F\limits^ \to \left( {x,y,z} \right) = xyz\mathop i\limits^ \to + xy\mathop j\limits^ \to + x^2 yz\mathop k\limits^ \to [/tex] and S is the cube which consists of all sides apart from the bottom. Ie. S is a 'square hemisphere' without the bottom.

I have a solution to this problem but I don't understand it. I think that I would benefit greatly if someone helps me by explaining what I should be looking for. Anyway here is what I've thought about so far.

[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {curl\mathop F\limits^ \to } } \bullet d\mathop S\limits^ \to = \int\limits_C^{} {\mathop F\limits^ \to } \bullet d\mathop r\limits^ \to
[/tex]

In the above equation F is usually F(r(something)) and dr is r'(something). I usually need to parameterise the surface but in this case I don't think that is such an easy task. The solution considers two surfaces, one being S and the other being the bottom 'missing' face of the cube. A normal vector also comes into it. I must admit, this question has got me lost for ideas. I would appreciate any pointers to get me started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Anyway here is what I've thought about so far.
[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {curl\mathop F\limits^ \to } } \bullet d\mathop S\limits^ \to = \int\limits_C^{} {\mathop F\limits^ \to } \bullet d\mathop r\limits^ \to
[/tex]
Correct. That's what Stokes' theorem tells you. So instead of evaluating the flux of the curl of F through S, you evaluate the line integral of F along the boundary line C of S, which is the square formed by the four edges of the bottom of the cube.

So the line integral consists of 4 straight line segments which are easily parametrized. I assume you know how to solve a line integral if you know the function and the curve along which to integrate.

Another way is to realize that Stokes' theorem implies that the value of the integral is independent of the surface that is bounded by the given curve C. So maybe a different surface choice S' will make the calculation even easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Galileo. I managed to get an answer of zero which is the same as the book's answer - the solution provided is far more complicated than using the parameterisation you alluded to.

Related to Understanding Stoke's Theorem on a Cube: Exploring Surfaces and Normal Vectors

What is Stoke's theorem on a cube?

Stoke's theorem on a cube is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus and is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other vector fields.

How is Stoke's theorem on a cube different from Green's theorem?

Stoke's theorem on a cube is a generalization of Green's theorem, which relates a line integral on a closed curve to a double integral over a region enclosed by the curve. While Green's theorem is limited to two-dimensional surfaces, Stoke's theorem can be applied to any closed surface in three-dimensional space.

What is the significance of Stoke's theorem on a cube in physics?

Stoke's theorem is used in physics to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface, which has applications in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas. It also allows for the conversion between a line integral and a surface integral, making it a powerful tool for solving problems involving vector fields.

What are the assumptions for Stoke's theorem on a cube to be valid?

There are two main assumptions for Stoke's theorem to be valid: the surface must be closed (meaning it has no boundary), and the vector field must be continuous and differentiable on the surface. If these conditions are met, then Stoke's theorem can be applied to calculate the surface integral.

Can Stoke's theorem be applied to any shape other than a cube?

Yes, Stoke's theorem can be applied to any closed surface, not just a cube. It can be extended to more complex shapes, such as spheres, cones, and cylinders, as long as the surface is closed and the vector field is continuous and differentiable on the surface. However, for more complicated shapes, the calculations may become more difficult and require advanced mathematical techniques.