1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stokes' Theorem problem

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use stokes' theorem to find I = [tex]\int\int (\nabla x F) n dS[/tex] where D is the part of the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-2)^2 = 8[/tex] that lies above the xy plane, and

[tex]F=ycos(3xz^2)i + x^3e^[-yz]j - e^[zsinxy]k[/tex]

Attempt at solution:
    I want to use the line integral [tex]\int F dr[/tex] to solve this.

I parametrize the boundary [tex]r(t) = (2cos\theta)i + (2sin\theta)j + 0k)[/tex] (the sphere on the xy plane)

Then F dotted with r'[t] is [tex]\int -4(sin\theta)^2 + (2cos\theta)^4 [/tex]

and 0 < theta < 2pi

And the answer that I get is 8pi. Is this correct? More specifically is my boundary curve legit, considering that the sphere "bulges" out above this boundary? :S

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    I just realized that on the xy plane the radius would be 2, not sqrt(8). Nonetheless, is this otherwise okay?

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

This is not what I got. Did you get dr/d(theta)=-2sin(theta)i + 2cos(theta)j?

That's not a problem. The boundary can curve in or out as much as it wants, but Stokes' theorem always holds true.

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4
    Is the answer you got 0?

6. Mar 21, 2010 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Me? Yes, I got 0.

7. Mar 21, 2010 #6
    Since stoke's theorem is an alt of green's, wouldn't it be easier to just compare the 6 partial derivatives? Because the integral will be 0 if it is conservative which occurs if they are all equal, correct?

8. Mar 21, 2010 #7
    I changed the r[t] to [tex]2cos\theta,2sin\theta,0[/tex]. For the F dot r'[t] I got [tex]\int -4(sin\theta)^2 + (2cos\theta)^4[/tex] with theta from 0 to 2pi. Why is this not giving me zero :S ?

9. Mar 21, 2010 #8

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Try it. I don't think the field is conservative.

10. Mar 21, 2010 #9

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You've done everything right so far. If you don't get 0, it's just a mistake in your integration somewhere.

11. Mar 21, 2010 #10
    I double checked on maple and 8pi seems correct, but I get zero when I directly compute the double integral without using Stokes'...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  12. Mar 21, 2010 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get [itex]8\pi[/itex] using both methods, so I'm pretty sure you are just doing something wrong when you calculate the double integral directly.

13. Mar 21, 2010 #12
    Can anyone confirm this? We have two homework helpers with two different answers!

14. Mar 21, 2010 #13
    Shameless bump

15. Mar 21, 2010 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've asked in the homework helpers forum for another HH to take a look when they get time, so hopefully someone will reply.

16. Mar 22, 2010 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I get [itex]8\pi[/itex] for the line integral. Is there a trick to evaluating the double integral? I get a mess for curl F.

17. Mar 22, 2010 #16
    When I found the curl I took z to equal 0, and so the curl ends up being 3x2-1.
    I then did [tex]\int\int3x^{2}-1 dA = \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}(r^{3}cos^2 {\phi} - r) drd{\phi} [/tex]
    this gives me zero. There is a similar problem in my book and this seems to be how it's done...

18. Mar 22, 2010 #17

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Are we all integrating [tex]
    \int -4(sin\theta)^2 + (2cos\theta)^4
    [/tex] from 0 to 2pi?

19. Mar 22, 2010 #18
    I did my integral a different way.

20. Mar 22, 2010 #19

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Which way?

21. Mar 22, 2010 #20
    I took the curl on the cirlce in the xy plane, so z=0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook