How Do I Apply Stokes's Theorem Correctly on a Given Surface?

• Thread starter izelkay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem involves calculating a line integral using Stokes's theorem for a surface bounded by a circle in the xy-plane. The surface can be thought of as two separate surfaces, but can also be treated as a single surface. The line integral for the first surface is zero, while the line integral for the second surface is -576pi.
izelkay

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/d5FpW.png

Homework Equations

∫∫(∇XF)⋅dS = ∫F(r(t))⋅r'(t)dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured I'd have two line integrals (using Stokes's theorem.

Paramatizing S1:

I can think of the cylinder as the closed curve circle x²+y² = 9 on the x-y plane right?

x = 3cost, y = 3sint, z = 0; 0 ≤ t ≤ 2pi

or r(t) = (3cost)i + (3sint)j

Then F = (27(cost)^3)i +(2187(sint)^7)j

The dot product of F and r'(t) gives me

-81sint(cost)3 + 6561(sint)^7cost

Then I integrate this from t = 0 to t = 2pi and get 0.

For S2:

Similar to S1, I can think of this hemisphere as the circle

x²+y² = 9 on the x-y plane with z = 8 right?

Then paramatizing:

r(t) = (3cost)i + (3sint)j + 8k ; 0≤t≤2pi

I go through the same process as S1, but I don't get 0 I get -576 pi, which is obviously wrong.

Would someone mind walking me through how to do this problem correctly?Am I applying Stokes's theorem incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only boundary of the silo/hemisphere is the circle in the xy plane, and you got zero for that.

Hi LCKurtz, thanks for your reply.

I was thinking I may only need to do the integral for S1 since, as you said, both surfaces share a circle in the xy plane as the boundary, but thought that made the problem too trivial.

So instead of splitting the surface into two parts S1 and S2, I can think of it as one surface like the middle image in this picture:
image001.png

so what I calculated for S1 is for the entire surface as well?

Yes. One way to think of it is if that surface was flexible rubber or a soap bubble, it could contract down to just the disk inside that circle. Any way you deform the surface still has that boundary.

Likes izelkay

1. What is Stokes's Theorem?

Stokes's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. When is Stokes's Theorem used?

Stokes's Theorem is used in vector calculus to evaluate integrals over surfaces in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the conditions for applying Stokes's Theorem?

There are two conditions for applying Stokes's Theorem: 1) the surface must be smooth and have a well-defined boundary, and 2) the vector field must be continuous and differentiable on the surface.

4. How is Stokes's Theorem related to Green's Theorem?

Stokes's Theorem is a higher-dimensional version of Green's Theorem, which relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stokes's Theorem?

Stokes's Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computational fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision.