1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stone Weierstrass application?

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to prove that the span of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$ is dense in $C([0,1])$.

Furthermore, that the closure of the span of $\{x^{2n+1}:n \geq0\}$ is $\{f \in C([0,1]):f(0) = 0\}$.

2. Relevant equations

Is my solution correct?

Now I do not know how to tackle the second part. Any help?

Thank you for helping the community.

3. The attempt at a solution

My work:

I guess I can use the Stone-Weierstrass theorem.

Define $A =$ span of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$.
    I need to prove A is an algebra of real continuous functions on a compact set I = [0,1]. The set I is compact since it is continuous and bounded.

A is an algebra since if, for example I multiply $fg = x^2x^4 = x^8 \in A$.

Next, need to show A separates points on I. So, points $x_1,x_2 \in [0,1] \Rightarrow f(x_1) \neq f(x_2), f(x_1), f(x_2) \in \{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$.

Finally, A vanishes at no point of I, i.e. $\forall x \in [0,1]$ elements of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$ are $\neq0$.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

Yes, you can certainly do that, it will work fine. Or, if you're lazy, you can just recycle the fact that polynomials are dense (presumably you've already proved that since you're using Weierstrass), by using a simple transformation (homeomorphism of [0,1] with itself), do you see which one ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted