Calculating Stopping Time of Car at 77 km/h

• Thread starter swimstar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: So, you should use 103 m as your distance in the equations.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a car traveling at a speed of 77 km/h to stop in exactly 103 m. The suggested approach is to use the equation d=V(initial)*T, with the average velocity instead of the initial velocity. The known quantities include the initial velocity of 77 km/h, and the distance of 103 m. It is important to note that the cat mentioned in the question is negligible and should not be included in the calculations.
swimstar
A driver in a car traveling at a speed of 77 km/h sees a cat 107 m away on the road. How long will it take for the car to accelerate uniformly to stop in exactly 103m? Answer in units of s.

I really have no idea where to begin with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any problem dealing with uniform acceleration starts with the equations for uniformly accelerated motion. Surely these are in your class notes or textbook.

Also, writing out the known quantities (vinitial=___, etc.) would help with this and most other physics problems.

I know that I need to convert 77 km/h to 21. 38888889 m/s which is the initial Velocity.

I was thinking of finding T with the equation d=V(initial)*T. So i could therefore put it in the question in: d=V(initial)*T + 1/2at^2 and solve for a.
However, I am unsure if I use 103m or 107 m in the equations.

Am I doing this correct?

swimstar said:
Hint: cat is negligible :wink:. This is just a trap. To confuse you what distance to use. And make problem more dramatic.

regards

Last edited:
swimstar said:
I know that I need to convert 77 km/h to 21. 38888889 m/s which is the initial Velocity.

I was thinking of finding T with the equation d=V(initial)*T.
That is almost the right equation, except that you need v_average, not v_initial. For v_average you may take the average of the initial and final velocities.
So i could therefore put it in the question in: d=V(initial)*T + 1/2at^2 and solve for a.
You could do that, but look again at what the question is asking you to find. (It is not asking for the acceleration.)
The question asks how long it takes for the car to stop in 103 m.

1. How is stopping time calculated for a car traveling at 77 km/h?

The stopping time of a car at 77 km/h can be calculated using the formula:
stopping time = velocity / deceleration rate
To calculate the deceleration rate, the weight of the car, road conditions, and braking system efficiency must also be taken into account.

2. What is considered a safe stopping time for a car traveling at 77 km/h?

The safe stopping time for a car traveling at 77 km/h depends on various factors such as the driver's reaction time, road conditions, and the car's braking system. However, on average, a stopping time of 4 seconds is considered safe at this speed.

3. Can the stopping time of a car at 77 km/h be affected by external factors?

Yes, the stopping time of a car at 77 km/h can be affected by external factors such as wet or icy roads, worn-out tires, or a malfunctioning braking system. These factors can increase the deceleration rate and therefore, increase the stopping time of the car.

4. How does the weight of the car affect the stopping time at 77 km/h?

The weight of the car plays a significant role in determining the stopping time at 77 km/h. The heavier the car, the longer the stopping time will be. This is because the car has more momentum and requires more force to decelerate.

5. Is it possible to reduce the stopping time of a car at 77 km/h?

Yes, the stopping time of a car at 77 km/h can be reduced by improving the deceleration rate. This can be achieved by regularly maintaining the car's braking system, using high-quality tires, and driving on well-maintained roads. Additionally, avoiding distractions and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles can also help reduce the stopping time.