Straight Lines

• Thread starter RandomGuy1
  • Start date
Homework Statement

A straight line L with negative slope passes through the point (8,2) and cuts the positive coordinate axes at points P and Q. As L varies, what is the absolute minimum value of OP + OQ?

The attempt at a solution

Let x and y be two points on the line.
Using the slope point formula, we have (y-2) = m(x-8).
Writing this in intercept form, one gets x/(8 - 2/m) + y/(2 - 8m) = 1.
This implies coordinates of P and Q are (8 - 2/m, 0) and (0, 2 - 8m) respectively.

∴ OP + OQ = 10 + (-2/m - 8/m)

I can't figure out how to proceed from there. How do you find out the minimum value for the last term?

Answers and Replies

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This implies coordinates of P and Q are (8 - 2/m, 0) and (0, 2 - 8m) respectively.

Actually [itex]OP + OQ = 10 - 2/m -8m[/itex] . You also need the condition [itex]m<0[/itex] bacause the slope of the line is required to be negative.

If you've learned derivatives at school, you just have to find the extremum values of [itex]OP + OQ[/itex] by solving [itex]\frac{d}{dm}\left(10-2/m-8m\right)=0[/itex] and choose the negative solution to find the correct value of m.

Oh, sorry, I meant -8m. Could you please explain the last step? Why do we equate the derivative to zero?

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Oh, sorry, I meant -8m. Could you please explain the last step? I know the derivative of -8m becomes 8. Wouldn't d/dm (-2/m) simply become -2/m2

Using the rule [itex]\frac{d}{dx}x^{n}=nx^{n-1}[/itex] with n=-1, we get [itex]\frac{d}{dm}(-2/m) =-2\frac{d}{dm}m^{-1}=-2\times(-1)\times m^{-2}=2/m^{2}[/itex]. You just had the wrong sign.

Why do we equate the derivative to zero?

If a differentiable function f(x) has an extremal (smallest or largest) value at some point a, we must have f'(a)=0.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Homework Statement

A straight line L with negative slope passes through the point (8,2) and cuts the positive coordinate axes at points P and Q. As L varies, what is the absolute minimum value of OP + OQ?

The attempt at a solution

Let x and y be two points on the line.
Using the slope point formula, we have (y-2) = m(x-8).
Writing this in intercept form, one gets x/(8 - 2/m) + y/(2 - 8m) = 1.

I can't figure out how to proceed from there. How do you find out the minimum value for the last term?

If we let the slope be ##-m## we have ##y-2 = -m(x-8)##, with ##m > 0##. We have
[tex] \text{OP} + \text{OQ} = 10 + 8m + \frac{2}{m} \equiv S(m).[/tex] We want to minimize ##S(m)##, so we need to minimize ##8m + 2/m##. We can use calculus, or we can use a trick involving the arithmetic-geometric mean inequality: for ##a, b > 0## we have
[tex] \frac{1}{2}(a+b) \geq \sqrt{a b} \Longrightarrow a+b \geq 2 \sqrt{ab},[/tex] with equality holding if and only if ##a = b##. So, applying this we have
[tex] 8m + \frac{2}{m} \geq 2 \sqrt{8m \frac{2}{m}} = 2 \sqrt{16} = 8,[/tex] with equality holding only when ##8m = 2/m,## or ##m^2 = 1/4##, or ##m = \pm 1/2 \longrightarrow m = 1/2##.