What Causes a Strange Liquid to Glow Blue When Disturbed?

It's possible that the liquid is a type of algae or plankton that is known for bioluminescence. When disturbed, they emit a bright blue light, which would explain the phenomenon observed at the sea terminal. It's also possible that the brown color is due to a buildup of these organisms. Unfortunately, without a video recording or further testing, it's difficult to determine exactly what type of organism it is. But it is most likely a natural occurrence and not a chemical being used for any specific purpose. In summary, the strange liquid observed at the sea terminal that glows blue when disturbed is most likely a type of bioluminescent algae or plankton.
qitara
Hi

A few days ago while at a sea terminal at night i noticed a strange liquid floating on top of the water, it has a light brown color and when it floats undisturbed by any thing falling on it like for example Sand, Stones, or any thing else, it is just a Light Brown liquid, the strange thing happens when you throw something at the liquid, as soon as what throw impacts the liquid it glows brightly blue for 2-4 seconds, and it does the same for what ever you throw at it. Unfortunately i didn't have the chance to video record it. Any idea of what type of chemical that is and what it is used for ?.

Thanks in Advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It might be a bio-luminescent dinoflagellate (small sea organism), in the water, in that area.
The brown stuff might be some collection of them or completely unrelated.
Dinoflagellates are known for glowing blue when disturbed (in waves, wakes, splashes etc.).
c92b9f93555fe4553dd425b443eb8bab.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Ygggdrasil and Nik_2213
BillTre said:
It might be a bio-luminescent dinoflagellate (small sea organism), in the water, in that area.

That was my thought as well.

Likes BillTre

What is "Strange Liquid Glows Blue"?

"Strange Liquid Glows Blue" is a substance that emits a blue glow when exposed to certain conditions or stimuli. It is a unique and intriguing liquid that has caught the attention of scientists and the general public alike.

What causes "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" to glow?

The exact cause of the blue glow in "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" is still being studied and researched. However, it is believed that the glow is a result of a chemical reaction between the liquid's components and the surrounding environment, such as oxygen or light.

Is "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" safe to handle?

As with any substance, it is important to handle "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" with caution and proper safety measures. While it may not be inherently dangerous, it is always best to wear protective gear and handle it in a well-ventilated area to avoid any potential risks.

Can "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" be used for practical purposes?

At this time, "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" is primarily used for scientific research and experimentation. However, there is potential for it to be used in various applications, such as in glow-in-the-dark products or as a marker for certain chemical reactions.

How can I obtain "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" for my own experiments?

As "Strange Liquid Glows Blue" is still being studied and researched, it may not be readily available for purchase. It is best to contact a laboratory or research facility that specializes in this substance to inquire about obtaining a sample for experimentation.