Street X-ing

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Heheh, that's the one!!!
You know, now that I think about it, that dog picture was inspired by someting BobG posted...about being chased by a 3-legged Chihuahua. And it was BobG that inspired the crosswalk one...

BobG, you're my muse!

Evo
Mentor
You know, now that I think about it, that dog picture was inspired by someting BobG posted...about being chased by a 3-legged Chihuahua. And it was BobG that inspired the crosswalk one...

BobG, you're my muse!
You should add the chihuahua to the crosswalk picture and have the dog biting his leg.

WarPhalange
I push more than once to make sure the button connects with whatever it's touching. Last thing I want to do is wait for 15 minutes because I didn't push the button all the way or something.

I've heard that a lot of stop lights don't even have the walk buttons hooked up, but I can't confirm that.

Evo
Mentor
Hehe, very good rootX!! I love BobG's hair, and the BIG NARLY TEETH on the Chihuahua.

I have no idea why they are pushed at all. The ones we have here, don't make the walk light appear any faster then if you just wait. Yes, several co-workers and myself timed it.
We think maybe they did work at one time, but foot traffic is not what it use to be, and keeping the cars moving more then likely takes priority.
Actually, it probably does serve a purpose. Sometimes, the walk sign might appear whenever vehicle traffic has a green light in your direction, but late at night, when there may be no vehicle traffic to trigger a change in the light, you may have to press the button.

Or it could be that the button only needs to be pressed during certain periods of the day.

Or it could be that they changed the pedestrian signal from on request to automatic.

You could find out from the city traffic engineers how the pedestrian signal is timed and whether your hypothesis is correct.

Evo
Mentor
I didn't notice any change in the traffic signals, to me, the only purpose of the "walk" sign is to let me know that traffic crossing my path has a red light.

Which brings to mind some brain dead woman jogging that ran into traffic yesterday morning because she saw a green light and her two brain cells didn't register that traffic coming up behind her in the turning lane which could run over her had the green light. She had a red "Don't walk" signal. Traffic lights are for cars, not for pedestrians. It was a miracle she didn't wind up as a smear on the pavement, but I am sure it won't be long before she wins a Darwin award.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator: