How Does the Stress Tensor Change at Point P Near Current-Carrying Wires?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the components of Maxwell's stress tensor at a point P on the yz plane, located a distance y above the xz plane. The problem involves two wires with currents I-1 and I-2 running parallel to the Z axis in the xz plane. The speaker calculates the magnetic field due to each wire and questions whether there is an electric field present and if all tensor components with x in the indices are zero. They are seeking guidance on how to approach the problem.
vwishndaetr
So I'm working on yet another problem, and have come to a minor stump.

2 wires run parallel with the Z axis in the xz plane, one with current I-1, other with current I-2.

I need to determine the components of Maxwell's stress tensor at a field point P, where P is a point on the yz plane (x=0), a distance y above the xz plane.

We know,

[tex]T_{ij} = \epsilon_0 \left( E_i E_j - \frac{1}{2} \delta_{ij} E^2 \right) + \frac{1}{\mu_0} \left( B_i B_j - \frac{1}{2} \delta_{ij} E^2 \right)[/tex]

I calculate B due to wire 1 to be,

[tex] \overrightarrow{B_1} = -\frac{{\mu}_0 I_1y}{2\pi(d^2/4+y^2)}\hat{x} -\frac{{\mu}_0 I_1d}{4\pi(d^2/4+y^2)}\hat{y} [/tex]

And B due to wire 2,

[tex] \overrightarrow{B_2} = -\frac{{\mu}_0 I_2y}{2\pi(d^2/4+y^2)}\hat{x} + \frac{{\mu}_0 I_2d}{4\pi(d^2/4+y^2)}\hat{y} [/tex]

I know the the equation for the stress tensor involves Electric field also, but is there an E-field created by to wires with current? Or is there no E-field and E=0?

Also, since P lies on yz plane, and x=0, does that mean all tensor components with x in the indices is also zero?

Some help to guide me?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Related to How Does the Stress Tensor Change at Point P Near Current-Carrying Wires?

1. What is a stress tensor at a point P?

A stress tensor at a point P is a mathematical representation of the stress state of a material at a specific point. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the different types of stresses acting on the material, such as normal stresses (tension or compression) and shear stresses.

2. How is a stress tensor at a point P calculated?

A stress tensor at a point P is typically calculated using equations derived from the fundamental laws of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. It involves taking into account the forces and deformations acting on the material at that specific point.

3. What is the significance of a stress tensor at a point P?

A stress tensor at a point P is significant because it provides valuable information about the stress state of a material, which can help engineers and scientists understand its mechanical behavior and predict its response to different types of loading.

4. How does a stress tensor at a point P differ from a stress tensor in general?

A stress tensor at a point P is a specific representation of the stress state at a single point, while a stress tensor in general represents the stress state of an entire region or body. The stress tensor at a point P only takes into account the stresses acting on that point, while a stress tensor in general considers the stresses at all points within the region or body.

5. What are the applications of a stress tensor at a point P?

A stress tensor at a point P has various applications in engineering and science, such as in structural analysis, material testing, and design of mechanical components. It can also be used to study the behavior of materials under different types of loading, such as tensile, compressive, or shear loading.