1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress vs. Strain and finding the permanent set of bar

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am told a cirular bar of magnesium alloy is 750 mm long. The bar is loaded in tension to an elongation of 6 mm and then the load is removed.
    I am given this Stress vs. Strain graph which I cant put up here since its in my book. But Stress is on the y- axis and strain is the x-axis. It looks almost like a square root curve.

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon= sigma/ E
    Where E is the modulus of elasticity right? and sigma is stress and epsilon is strain

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took a point on the graph to find E and got 26,666.6667 which Im not sure if I did that right. So once I have E how the heck do I find the permanent set of the bar? Also the second part wants the proportional limit once the bar is reloaded.

Luckily I have the answers in the back of the book but I want to know how to figure this out badly. turns out the permanent set is 2.97 mm and the proportional limit is 1.8 MPa

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted