String Theory Groups in Europe

In summary, the conversation is about applying for a PhD in String Theory in Europe. The person is currently finishing their master's degree in Theoretical Physics and is interested in all aspects of String Theory. They are seeking suggestions for universities, with a preference for justifications rather than just the classic options of Cambridge and Oxford. Some suggestions are given, including Utrecht in Holland for the presence of 't Hooft, de Wit at Utrecht as an actual string theorist, and King's College London for professor Sakellariadou. The person also mentions interest in other general aspects around strings. They mention not being able to consider the US due to time and expense, and ask for opinions on other European universities and groups. The conversation
llorgos
Hi all!

I am ready for applying for my PhD which I want to be on String Theory and in Europe. I am finishing my master's degree in Theoretical Physics and currently I am researching Holographic Renormalization for asymptotically non-AdS space-times.

I am interested in all aspects of String Theory, Gauge/Gravity dualities/ black hole information(e.g. firewalls) etc.

Can you suggest universities please? I would appreciate it even more if you justified why and not only mentioning the classics Cambridge and Oxford.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all if you want to work on string theory perhaps Europe could not be the best place to do so. According to my current supervisor (Master, I finish in like one month) being string theory really competitive field and with so many people working on it, to emerge you have to be in an important group, and important groups are mainly in the US.
This told, the best choice coul be Utrecht, in Holland... and the reason is self-explanatory: there is t'Hooft there. Clearly you should manage to work with him, but if you do that is for sure a good group. Else, Cambridge may NOT be the perfect choice, remember they are much influenced by Hawking (who is there) and he is not so fond in string theory (at least the aspects like AdS/CFT governing Black Holes and so on). In England there are some groups working on AdS/CFT, at Southampton (but I don't know how it is there) and at King's College London I am sure there is professor Sakellariadou: I know her and I think she is good, but she works on strange topics in strings, like cosmological strings and so on, not the classical topics. Anyway have a look at her academic website and see if you could be interested http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/physics/people/academicstaff/sakellariadou.aspx.
As for others, I do not know in detail. There are many groups in Germany (like Dvali in Munich) but I can't be more precise as I don't know the situation there, as well as in the Northern Europe.

Anyway all considered, the best choice should be if you can t'Hooft.

But 't Hooft is not working in strings.. I am not sure why you say that he does. In Utrecht for example there is de Wit who is an actual string theorist but 't Hooft certainly is not (I think he currently works on some strange reformulation of QM).

Also, as I pointed out, I am interested in many general aspects around strings. That is, gauge/string dualities, compactifications, black hole information e.t.c. Even the stuff E. Verlinde does I found them extremely interesting.

Anyway, thanks for you help, I ll keep it in mind.

llorgos said:
But 't Hooft is not working in strings.. I am not sure why you say that he does. In Utrecht for example there is de Wit who is an actual string theorist but 't Hooft certainly is not (I think he currently works on some strange reformulation of QM).

Well, don't know what he is doing now, but a good part of the mathematical structure of strings is due to him I think... he is also one of the prometers of the Holographic Principle together with Leonard Susskind... anyway the only way I think is to ask someone working in the filed... I am theoretician but not exactly in string theory so I don't know probably most of the names. Anyway as I told, consider the US... the biggest names are there

Thanks for your help.

I cannot consider the US since I have no time to take the GRE's currently. Also, it is very expensive to apply to those universities. That is why I am asking for Europe. Of course I know the groups I want to work with, and the univerisities, I just want to see what other people also think.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unite the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) by explaining them in terms of tiny one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How is String Theory studied in Europe?

In Europe, String Theory is studied through both theoretical and experimental research at various universities and research institutions. These include the string theory groups at the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Humboldt University of Berlin, and many more.

3. What are the major challenges in studying String Theory?

One of the biggest challenges in studying String Theory is the difficulty in testing its predictions and verifying its validity. Another challenge is the complexity of the mathematics involved, which requires a strong background in advanced mathematics.

4. How do European string theory groups collaborate with each other?

European string theory groups collaborate through international conferences, workshops, and research programs. They also collaborate through joint publications and exchanges of researchers and students between different institutions.

5. What are the current developments in String Theory research in Europe?

Currently, there is a lot of research being done in Europe to further develop and refine String Theory, with a focus on topics such as holography, black holes, cosmological models, and string phenomenology. There is also ongoing research on the implications of String Theory for other fields such as mathematics and computer science.