String wrapped around a Disk with 4 Rods

• Thread starter Oribe Yasuna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk String
In summary: So using the rotational versions of the distances and velocities, you can find the angular speed of the apparatus.omega1 = (1.957 m/s^2 - 0.034 m/s^2) / (1.3 kg + 0
Oribe Yasuna
A string is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 1.3 kg and radius R = 0.05 m. (Recall that the moment of inertia of a uniform disk is (1/2)MR2.) Attached to the disk are four low-mass rods of radius b = 0.08 m, each with a small mass m = 0.3 kg at the end. The device is initially at rest on a nearly frictionless surface. Then you pull the string with a constant force F = 33 N. At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance d = 0.034 m, a length w = 0.023 m of string has unwound off the disk.

(a) At this instant, what is the speed of the center of the apparatus?
v =

(b) At this instant, what is the angular speed of the apparatus?
omega1 =

(c) You keep pulling with constant force 33 N for an additional 0.039 s. Now what is the angular speed of the apparatus?
omega2 =

Homework Equations

Idisk = 1/2 MR^2
I = m1r1^2 + m2r2^2 ...

torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 1/2 MR^2 + m1r1^2 + ... m4r4^2
I = 1/2 (1.3)(0.05)^2 + 4*(0.3)(0.08)^2
I = 0.009305 kg*m^2

torque = r x f
torque = 1.65 N*m

I have no idea where to go from this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was there no figure accompanying the problem?

Mister T said:
Was there no figure accompanying the problem?
There was.
c78475c2f9.jpg

My bad.

Oribe Yasuna said:
At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance d = 0.034 m, a length w = 0.023 m of string has unwound off the disk.

The fact that these two numbers are different tells you what?

Mister T said:
The fact that these two numbers are different tells you what?
That the disk is rotating and the system is moving at different rates?

Right. So from those two numbers you can tell how far it's moved (translated) and how many rotations it's made.

Mister T said:
Right. So from those two numbers you can tell how far it's moved (translated) and how many rotations it's made.
I don't understand how to get velocity from that. Is there a formula?

Have you tried using ##F=ma##?

Mister T said:
Have you tried using ##F=ma##?
F = ma
a = m/F
a = 33 N / (1.3 kg + 0.3 kg + 0.3 kg + 0.3 kg + 0.3 kg)
a = 13.2 m/s^2

Maybe...
0.034 * 13.2 = 0.4488 m^2 / s^2
0.023 * 13.2 = 0.3036 m^2 / s^2
0.4488 + 0.3036 = 0.7524 m^2 / s^2
sqrt 0.7524 = 0.8674... m/s

I'm just guessing through units, but is this it?

Guessing is not a good idea. Don't you remember the formula that relates distance, velocity and acceleration? Distance times acceleration does give you something with units of ##v^2## but that doesn't mean it's equal to ##v^2##.

Mister T said:
Guessing is not a good idea. Don't you remember the formula that relates distance, velocity and acceleration? Distance times acceleration does give you something with units of ##v^2## but that doesn't mean it's equal to ##v^2##.
I don't remember a formula like that at all.

All I could find was:
d = v1 + 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 at^2
0.034 + 0.023 = 1/2 13.2 t^2
0.057 = 6.6t^2
0.008636364 = t^2
0.092932038 = t

t = (vf - vi) / a
0.092932038 = vf / 13.2
1.2267... = vf

That doesn't look right though.

Why did you add the two distances d and w together?

Mister T said:
Why did you add the two distances d and w together?
Well, I tried calculating them separately using the same formula and got different times.

But there can only be one time, so I thought it was wrong.

Oribe Yasuna said:
Well, I tried calculating them separately using the same formula and got different times.

Well, of course if you use two different distances d and w you get two different times.

But there can only be one time, so I thought it was wrong.

And if you use a third distance d+w you get a third time. If there's only one right answer then at least two of those three have to be wrong.

You need to find a way to justify using one of them. Getting the right answer is not a justification. The justification needs to be based on sense-making, not on answer-making.

Likes TSny
Mister T said:
You need to find a way to justify using one of them. Getting the right answer is not a justification. The justification needs to be based on sense-making, not on answer-making.
Alright. So the first question is asking for the velocity of the system.

The rotation of the disk is related to angular velocity, so that's not it.

So the center of the system (center of the disk) has moved a distance of 0.034 m, which is d in the equation.
d = v1 + 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 at^2
0.034 = 1/2 13.2 t^2
0.034 = 6.6t^2
0.005151515 = t^2
0.071774056 = t

t = (vf - vi) / a
0.071774056 = vf / 13.2
0.947417543 = vf

Does this make sense?

Yes! If you remember to attach the units: 0.947 m/s.

Next, repeat that same calculation, but this time you use the rotational motion versions of the linear motion equations.

Mister T said:
Yes! If you remember to attach the units: 0.947 m/s.

Next, repeat that same calculation, but this time you use the rotational motion versions of the linear motion equations.
d = 1/2 at^2
0.023 = 1/2 (13.2)t^2
0.059032605 = t

omegaf = omegai + RFt / I
omegaf = (0.05)(33)(0.059032605) / 0.009305
omegaf = 10.46789879 rad./s

Okay, does that look correct?

Oribe Yasuna said:
d = 1/2 at^2
0.023 = 1/2 (13.2)t^2
0.059032605 = t

Is 13.2 m/s² the linear acceleration of the string? The reason I ask is because 0.023 m is the linear displacement of the string relative to the center of rotation.

Mister T said:
Is 13.2 m/s² the linear acceleration of the string? The reason I ask is because 0.023 m is the linear displacement of the string relative to the center of rotation.
No, it's the acceleration of the system of rods and disk.

Would the string's movement be measured in torques?

Oribe Yasuna said:
Would the string's movement be measured in torques?

The string moves a distance of 0.023 m relative to the center of rotation of the disk. What does this tell you about the disk's rotational motion?

Related to String wrapped around a Disk with 4 Rods

1. What is the purpose of wrapping string around a disk with 4 rods?

The purpose of wrapping string around a disk with 4 rods is to create a model that demonstrates the principles of rotation, torque, and equilibrium. This model can be used to study the effects of different forces on a rotating object.

2. How does the number of rods affect the rotation of the disk?

The number of rods can affect the rotation of the disk by changing the distribution of weight and forces acting on the disk. With 4 rods, the distribution of weight is evenly spread out, creating a more stable rotation compared to a disk with fewer rods.

3. What factors influence the amount of torque exerted on the disk?

The amount of torque exerted on the disk is influenced by several factors, including the length of the string, the weight of the disk, the angle of the string, and the distance of the rods from the center of the disk. These factors can be adjusted to change the amount of torque on the disk.

4. How does the position of the rods affect the equilibrium of the disk?

The position of the rods can affect the equilibrium of the disk by changing the distribution of weight and forces acting on the disk. Placing the rods closer to the center of the disk can create a more stable equilibrium, while placing them further out can create an unbalanced rotation.

5. What real-life applications can be demonstrated with this model?

This model can be used to demonstrate the principles of rotation, torque, and equilibrium, which are important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It can also be used to study the effects of forces on rotating objects, such as the motion of a spinning top or the rotation of a wheel on an axle.