Is There a Stronger Urysohn Lemma for Banach Spaces?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Urysohn's lemma in a Banach space with two disjoint closed subsets A and B. The author mentions a version of the lemma that guarantees f(x)=0 if and only if x is in A, and asks for an explanation. The conversation also references Munkres' topology and the strong form of the Urysohn lemma, which states that in a normal space, there is a continuous function f : X \to [0,1] such that f(x)=0 for x \in A, and f(x) = 1 for x\in B, and 0 < f(x) < 1 otherwise, if and only if A and B are disjoint closed
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello all,

I am reading an article and there is something I find odd. The setting is a Banach space E and we have two disjoint closed subsets A and B of E. There is no additional assumption on E, A or B. The author then says,

"Let f:E-->[0,1] be a Urysohn's function such that f(x)=0 if and only if x is in A, and f(x)=1 on B."

But never have I seen a version of Urysohn's lemma that guarantees that f(x)=0 if and only if x is in A.

Does someone have an explanation? (I would ask my advisor but she had gone on vacation for 3 weeks)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the exercises (exercise 5 on pg. 213) of Munkres' topology he states and asks the reader to prove the following theorem which he refers to as the strong form of the Urysohn lemma:
Let X be a normal space. There is a continuous function [itex]f : X \to [0,1][/itex] such that f(x)=0 for [itex]x \in A[/itex], and [itex]f(x) = 1[/itex] for [itex]x\in B[/itex], and [itex]0 < f(x) < 1[/itex] otherwise, if and only if A and B are disjoint closed [itex]G_\delta[/itex] sets in X.

In a metrizable space every closed set is [itex]G_\delta[/itex] and metrizable spaces are normal so we obtain the corollary:
Let X be a metrizable space. Then there exists a continuous function [itex]f : X \to [0,1][/itex] such that f(x)=0 for [itex]x \in A[/itex], and [itex]f(x) = 1[/itex] for [itex]x\in B[/itex], and [itex]0 < f(x) < 1[/itex] otherwise, if and only if A and B are disjoint closed sets in X.

I see, thank you!

Related to Is There a Stronger Urysohn Lemma for Banach Spaces?

What is the Stronger Urysohn lemma?

The Stronger Urysohn lemma is a foundational result in topology that states that any two disjoint closed sets in a normal topological space can be separated by a continuous function.

How is the Stronger Urysohn lemma different from the Urysohn lemma?

The Urysohn lemma states that any two disjoint closed sets in a normal topological space can be separated by a continuous function that takes values in the unit interval [0,1]. The Stronger Urysohn lemma extends this to allow the continuous function to take values in any closed interval [a,b].

What is the significance of the Stronger Urysohn lemma?

The Stronger Urysohn lemma is a powerful tool in topology, as it allows for the construction of continuous functions with more flexibility than the Urysohn lemma. This has applications in fields such as analysis, differential equations, and algebraic geometry.

What are the conditions for the Stronger Urysohn lemma to hold?

The Stronger Urysohn lemma holds in any normal topological space, which is a space where any two disjoint closed sets can be separated by open sets. It also requires the space to be Hausdorff, meaning that any two distinct points have disjoint open neighborhoods.

How is the Stronger Urysohn lemma proved?

The Stronger Urysohn lemma is typically proved using Zorn's lemma, which is a powerful tool in set theory. It involves constructing a maximal set of continuous functions that separate the disjoint closed sets, and then using Zorn's lemma to show that this set contains a function that separates the closed sets with values in any closed interval [a,b].