Structural Formulas: HBr & 2-Propene, 1-Butanol & 1-Propanoic Acid

In summary: Not sure what the deal is. Also, just to be clear, is there a specific type of reaction you're looking for? In summary, In i there is an addition reaction between HBr and 2-propene. In ii an esterification reaction between 1-butanol and 1-propanoic acid occurs. There are possible isomers in both reactions. The product in ii is an ester and occurs through nucleophilic addition elimination.
m0286
Last Question.. I promise!
a)Using structural formula show the reactions between:
i) HBr and 2-propene
ii) 1-butanol and 1-propanoic acid.
b) How many isomers are possible in (i)
c) Name the type of reacion in (i), In (ii)
d) To what family does the organic product in (ii) belong?

K what I got so far is ( look in the attachment)
In i Is it right, have I done it correctly and in ii) I am not sure how I put them together? I have no clue?

Attachments

• 17a.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 17b.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 461
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can't see the document, since I don't have word with me at the moment (old version of works). i) is an addition reaction ii) is an esterification, and as implied ii) product is an ester, occurs through nucleophilic addition elimination.

although considered allylic route for i)...don't think it'll be a factor in this case, since the caranion intermediate won't have an electrophilic bromine to react with. Not to mention they should have indicated low concentrations of bromine reactant, if they wished for you to consider this

Also, if you're referring to propene, not 2-propene as this does not make any sense (can you tell me why?), be sure to indicate so

Just be sure to refer to figures in your text, in drawing out the general equation

GCT said:
Can't see the document, since I don't have word with me at the moment (old version of works). i) is an addition reaction ii) is an esterification, and as implied ii) product is an ester, occurs through nucleophilic addition elimination.

although considered allylic route for i)...don't think it'll be a factor in this case, since the caranion intermediate won't have an electrophilic bromine to react with. Not to mention they should have indicated low concentrations of bromine reactant, if they wished for you to consider this

Also, if you're referring to propene, not 2-propene as this does not make any sense (can you tell me why?), be sure to indicate so

Just be sure to refer to figures in your text, in drawing out the general equation

I dunno, a lot of ochem books say stupid stuff like 2-propene...at least mine did

FAQ: Structural Formulas: HBr & 2-Propene, 1-Butanol & 1-Propanoic Acid

What is the structural formula for HBr?

The structural formula for HBr is H-Br, with a single covalent bond between the hydrogen atom and the bromine atom.

What is the structural formula for 2-propene?

The structural formula for 2-propene is CH3-CH=CH2, with a double covalent bond between the two carbon atoms and single bonds between the carbon atoms and hydrogen atoms.

What is the structural formula for 1-butanol?

The structural formula for 1-butanol is CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-OH, with a single covalent bond between each carbon atom and a single bond between the last carbon atom and the hydroxyl group.

What is the structural formula for 1-propanoic acid?

The structural formula for 1-propanoic acid is CH3-CH2-COOH, with a single covalent bond between each carbon atom and a double bond between the last carbon atom and the carboxylic acid group.

How do the structural formulas of these compounds differ?

The structural formulas differ in the arrangement and types of bonds between the atoms. HBr only has a single bond, while 2-propene has a double bond. 1-butanol and 1-propanoic acid have additional functional groups (hydroxyl and carboxylic acid, respectively) attached to the carbon chain.