How Do You Solve y(x+2) = 9 to Minimize x+y?

In summary, the student is stuck because they have a fraction with an exponent at the bottom, and they need to solve for two numbers that when added together is the smallest possible.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Supposed to take the derivative of:

y(x+2) = 9

I think this is one for the chain rule...

Am getting stuck with a fraction with exponent at the bottom and that's a no no that I can't get out of...

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached

Attachments

• calc05.jpg
    calc05.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused, what is 'y'? And why do you change to 'f'?

You're kind of right (though I don't know why you introduce a function f). Your derivative on line 4 is off by a minus sign; it should read
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{9}{(x+2)^2}[/tex]

This is the solution: I don't know what you're doing in the next line.

Pengwuino said:
I'm confused, what is 'y'? And why do you change to 'f'?

I figured that y and f(x) are the same things just different notation.

The original question is "from all positives numbers X and Y that fulfill y(x+2) = 9, find the two numbers that for them the sum x+y is minimal."

So I thought to take the derivative of y, i.e. f(x) and set it equal to zero. Currently am stuck in the first phase though.

Edit: Oh wait, I did take the derivative successfully, just was off by a minus sign, right? :) Wheepee!

cristo said:
You're kind of right (though I don't know why you introduce a function f). Your derivative on line 4 is off by a minus sign; it should read
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{9}{(x+2)^2}[/tex]

This is the solution: I don't know what you're doing in the next line.

I thought the -9 times the -1 on line 4 give a plus?

Femme_physics said:
So I thought to take the derivative of y, i.e. f(x) and set it equal to zero. Currently am stuck in the first phase though.
Don't forget - what is the function that you need to minimize?

Femme_physics said:
I thought the -9 times the -1 on line 4 give a plus?
As already noted, you have an extra minus sign. In your work you have
f'(x) = -9(x + 2)-2(-1)
That final (-1) should not be there. Your factor of -9 already includes (-1) from the exponent on x + 2.

I think I completely fudged the concept of the question.

diazona said:
Don't forget - what is the function that you need to minimize?

The original question is "from all positives numbers X and Y that fulfill y(x+2) = 9, find the two numbers that for them the sum x+y is minimal."

That final (-1) should not be there.

Ah...thanks.. I thought that's how you use the chainrule, but you're just suppose to take the derivative of the whole thing I see. My bad.So now that I have the right derivative, but apparently my direction of how to solve the question is off because no real values = 0. I'll try to figure it out, I appreciate all the corrections with my basic calculus.

FAQ: How Do You Solve y(x+2) = 9 to Minimize x+y?

1. What is the process of taking the derivative?

The process of taking the derivative involves finding the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. This is done by calculating the limit of the difference quotient as the interval between two points approaches zero.

2. What is the purpose of taking the derivative?

Taking the derivative allows us to analyze how a function changes at a specific point, and can be used to find maximum and minimum values, determine the slope of a tangent line, and solve optimization problems.

3. How do you take the derivative of a polynomial?

To take the derivative of a polynomial, use the power rule which states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the coefficient, and the power reduced by one.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, and the slope of the tangent line is negative.

5. What is the difference between the derivative and the derivative at a specific point?

The derivative is a general concept that represents the rate of change of a function, while the derivative at a specific point is the value of the slope at that point. The derivative at a specific point is also known as the instantaneous rate of change.

Back