How Do You Calculate Velocity and Distance in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter terpsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
So, it will take the boat 21 hours to make the trip.In summary, we can find the velocity of an object by using the equation v = v_i + at, and we can find the distance it has fallen by using x = v_i t + \frac{1}{2}at^2. The average velocity is found by dividing the displacement by the time. For the ferryboat, we can find the average velocity by dividing the displacement by the time, and then convert it to meters per second. To find the time for the boat to travel 420 km, we use the equation \frac {x}{v} = t and convert the time into hours for a more manageable answer.
terpsgirl
I've been trying to figure them out but can't get through about 6 questions, these are the other two..

An object is observed to fall from a bridge, striking the water below 2.50 s later. (a) With what velocity did it strike the water? (b) What was its average velocity during the fall? (c) How high is the bridge?

A ferryboat requires 45.0 min to travel 15.0 km across a bay. (a) what was the avg speed in m/s? (b) At this speed, how much time would be required for the boat to take a 420 km trip up the river?
THX

Physics news on Phys.org
terpsgirl said:
I've been trying to figure them out but can't get through about 6 questions, these are the other two..

An object is observed to fall from a bridge, striking the water below 2.50 s later. (a) With what velocity did it strike the water? (b) What was its average velocity during the fall? (c) How high is the bridge?

A ferryboat requires 45.0 min to travel 15.0 km across a bay. (a) what was the avg speed in m/s? (b) At this speed, how much time would be required for the boat to take a 420 km trip up the river?
THX
For the bridge question, you know that the current velocity is given by [itex] v = v_i + at[/itex]. You know that [itex] v_i = 0, a = 9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}[/itex], and [itex] t = 2.50 s[/itex]. Plugging those numbers into the first equation, what number comes out?

What about the distance it travelled? You know that you can relate distance, initial velocity, acceleration, and time with [itex] x = v_i t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex], where x is the displacement. Using the numbers you already have from the previous part, what do you get for x? This is the distance the object has fallen - the same thing as the "height of the bridge".

Average velocity is the ratio of displacement to time, [itex] v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex]. You know the displacement from your recent work, and you know the time is 2.50 s, because that's given to you in the problem. What do you get when you divide the displacement by 2.50 s? That's the average velocity.

For the ferryboat question, you can find the average velocity just like you did in the bridge question. Take the displacement (15.0 km) and divide it by the time (45.0 min). That's the average velocity. But it will be in kilometers per minute, and the problem wants you to give the average velocity in meters per second. No problem! Just multiply by a conversion factor so that the units you don't want go away, and the units you do want are all that's left. Remember, a conversion factor is equal to one, you can multiply anything you want by a conversion factor and you won't change its value.

[tex] \frac {15.0 km}{45.0 min} \cdot \frac {1000 m}{1 km} \cdot \frac {1 min}{60 s} = 5.56 m/s[/tex]

If you think of the units, like "km" and "min", as being just like variables, you can see that on the left hand side all the "km"s cancel out, as do all the "min"s, and you're just left with regular meters and seconds.

To answer part (b), let's first get 420 km into the same units as the speed we know (meters):
[tex] 420 km \cdot \frac {1000 m}{1 km} = 420000 m [/tex]

So, what we're really asking is, how long does the boat need to go at 5.56 m/s before it has moved 420,000 m?

We know that, with a constant velocity, [itex] x = vt[/itex], displacement is the product of velocity and time. If we solve that for t, we get:
[tex] \frac {x}{v} = t [/tex]

We know x (420,000 m) and v (5.56 m/s), so when we divide those out, what do we get?

[tex] \frac {420000 m}{5.56 m/s} = 75600 s [/tex]

It will take 75,600 seconds for the boat to go that distance. That's a pretty unwieldy number, though, so let's convert it into hours by dividing by 3600. 75,600 seconds is 21 hours.

Hi there,

I understand that you are stuck on these questions and have been trying to figure them out. I can see that you have two different problems, one involving an object falling from a bridge and the other involving a ferryboat traveling across a bay.

For the first problem, we can use the equation d = v*t (distance = velocity * time) to solve for the velocity of the object. We know that the time is 2.50 seconds and the distance is the height of the bridge (which we will solve for in part c). So, the equation becomes d = v*2.50. To solve for v, we need to rearrange the equation to v = d/2.50. This means that the velocity of the object when it strikes the water is equal to the height of the bridge divided by 2.50.

For part b, we need to find the average velocity during the fall. This can be calculated by taking the total distance (height of the bridge) and dividing it by the total time (2.50 seconds). So, the average velocity during the fall is the height of the bridge divided by 2.50 seconds.

Moving on to part c, we need to find the height of the bridge. We can use the same equation, d = v*t, but we will use the average velocity from part b and the total time of 2.50 seconds. This will give us the height of the bridge.

For the second problem, we are given the time and distance of the ferryboat traveling across the bay. To find the average speed in m/s, we first need to convert the time to seconds (45 minutes = 2700 seconds) and the distance to meters (15 kilometers = 15,000 meters). Then, we can use the equation v = d/t to solve for the average speed in m/s.

For part b, we are given the distance of 420 kilometers and we now know the average speed in m/s. We can use the same equation, v = d/t, to solve for the time. Just remember to convert the distance to meters and the speed to kilometers per second before plugging them into the equation.

I hope this helps you with these questions. Good luck!

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Velocity and Distance in Physics Problems?

1. How do I get "unstuck" when I am stuck on a difficult question?

One strategy is to take a break and come back to the question later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the question down into smaller parts or discussing it with a colleague or mentor.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a question for a long period of time?

If you have been stuck on a question for a while, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or professor. They can offer guidance and help you better understand the material.

3. How can I avoid getting stuck on questions in the first place?

One way to avoid getting stuck on questions is to stay organized and keep up with the material as it is being taught. This can help you build a strong foundation of knowledge so that you are better equipped to tackle challenging questions.

4. Are there any resources available to help me when I am stuck on a question?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as online forums, study groups, and tutoring services. You can also refer to textbooks, lecture notes, and other course materials for additional support.

5. Is it okay to skip a question if I am stuck and come back to it later?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to skip a question and come back to it later. This can give you time to work on other questions and may even help you come up with a solution for the previously skipped question.