Student Faces Terrorism Charges

In summary, the two men were stopped with pipe bombs in their car near a Navy base in South Carolina where enemy combatants have been held. One was charged with teaching the other how to use them.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
He claimed he was only carrying some fireworks from Wal-Mart.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20533248/
Found:
The two men were stopped with pipe bombs in their car near a Navy base in South Carolina where enemy combatants have been held.
One was charged with teaching the other how to use them.
...charged with distributing information relating to explosives...

Our own forum guidelines have recently changed to address this and some other issues.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178906

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how much of it has to do with them being Egyptian...

We usually let the Norwegian pipe bombers off with only a warning...

"Now you guys be careful out there with that dynamite! See you at the Nobel ceremony!"

Nah, sounds like even Norwegians would have gotten in trouble for this one:

Since the Aug. 4 arrest, authorities sought to determine whether Mohamed and Megahed were fledgling terrorists or merely college students headed to the beach with devices made from fireworks they bought at Wal-Mart in their car, as they claimed. The local sheriff in South Carolina said the explosives were “other than fireworks.”

They look like terrorists to me.

cyrusabdollahi said:
They look like terrorists to me.

Uh-oh. Here we go.

Disclaimer -- Cyrus is just trying to be funny here, and keep his banner for another year. He is also making a political statement, with his often-used ironic twist. Finally, he texted this in while flying his plane, so he could not post a longer explanation of what he meant. End of disclaimer.

The trouble was caused by America itself. The terrorist themselves may be good to people in real life. But their spirit seems governed by something else. Nowhere safe , Terrorism is everywhere in the world. Dig a deep hole and hide yourself in it with enough food.

The terrorist live among students because of students' powerful identity. Is there a terrorist ever reading this forum, I was wondering.

uiulic said:
The terrorist themselves may be good to people in real life.
"Real life"? And when exactly does that happen? After they're done shooting up people, or perhaps after they've blown up a handful of people along with themselves?

uiulic said:
The terrorist themselves may be good to people in real life. But their spirit seems governed by something else.

Hmmmmm. Good people in real life but 'something else' in spirit... Could that be 'evil'?

I mean in real life, you cannot see their other sides.In real life, the terrorist may not behave like a gang memeber does.
I would say their "spirit stuff" is evil, but they won't think as what we think.
They bomb themselves NOT because they like to do so. They "spirit stuff" (or maybe their leader force) force them to do so.

Some people tend to think that terrorists are psychotic maniacs. Most of them aren't. The reason they do what they do is that they think they'll go to paradice when they die. Off course poverty is a factor as well, but these people wouldn't do what they do if they weren't brainwashed in school.

I am not saying terrorists are psychotic maniacs AT ALL. tHEY HAVE A organization, which is America' enemy.

I have told you that

tHEY DO NOT LIKE TO DO so. They are forced to do so.

You do not even know what this means?

Are they willing to die? I am jsu saying what caused them to do so, which you should think over.

Yes, many of them are willing to die. Their religion tells them that the martyr's death will send them to the highest level of paradice.

You maybe only see one side of it.

They may be encouraged to do so by believing in what you said. But I believe they have hate in their mind.

Can you imagine one thing: Somebody will/or trying to kill your "GOD" who you trust forever, then what you will do then?

This is straying too far off the OP's topic of the stupidity of tampering with explosives.

1. What are the specific charges the student is facing?

The specific charges the student is facing may vary depending on the circumstances of the case and the laws in the jurisdiction. However, some common charges that may be brought against a student facing terrorism charges include providing material support to a terrorist organization, conspiracy to commit acts of terrorism, and possession of explosives or weapons with intent to use them for terrorism.

2. How did the student come under suspicion for terrorism?

There are a variety of ways that a student may come under suspicion for terrorism. This could include tips from individuals who were concerned about the student's behavior or statements, surveillance by law enforcement, or evidence discovered during an investigation of a related incident. It is important to remember that mere suspicion is not enough to bring charges - there must be sufficient evidence to support the charges.

3. What happens to the student while they are facing terrorism charges?

While facing terrorism charges, the student will likely be arrested and held in custody until their trial. They may also be subject to additional restrictions, such as travel restrictions or monitoring of their communications. The student will have the opportunity to defend themselves against the charges and may choose to hire a lawyer or have one provided by the court.

4. Is the student considered innocent until proven guilty?

Yes, in the United States, the student is considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. This means that the burden of proof is on the prosecution to provide sufficient evidence that the student committed the alleged acts of terrorism. The student also has the right to a fair trial and to present a defense against the charges.

5. What are the potential consequences if the student is found guilty?

If the student is found guilty of terrorism charges, the consequences can be severe. They may face lengthy prison sentences, fines, and a permanent criminal record. In some cases, the student may also be subject to deportation if they are not a citizen of the country where the charges were brought. Additionally, the student may face social stigma and difficulty finding employment or housing in the future.