Is it Worth Pursuing Engineering at 38? Expert Insights and Advice

In summary, your friend finished a degree in engineering, and many other people your age are doing the same thing. You can do it, and there is plenty of opportunity.
Gringo123
Study Engineering at 38??

I have always worked in sales and customer services. I fancy a change and a new challenmge and have recently developed an amateur interest in Physics and Engineering although my only real experience of engineering is passing my GCSE Physics exam at school (that's a basic British school qualification) and learning how to service my car.
I have a local colleage where I can do a 3 year part time degree in engineering and I am thinking about doing it with a view to moving into technical sales, manufacturing support or something like that?
Given my age and lack of experience, does anyone think that it is a little futile taking up engineering from scratch at this stage of my life?
Thanks for your advice.

Physics news on Phys.org

Gringo123 said:
Given my age and lack of experience, does anyone think that it is a little futile taking up engineering from scratch at this stage of my life?
I have a friend about your age who just finished up a degree in EE and his first bachelors was in history, so I know it's doable. I think about half the guys in my classes are over 30, a quarter about 40, though some of them do already have degrees of sorts in the field. So yeah, I don't think age would be an issue.
Job prospects might be hard 'cause you'd be entry level skill wise but have job experience, making you a strange hiring prospect, but as you want to move into related fields you'd probably be fine. I'm not even sure you need an engineering degree for the fields you want to go into, you may want to do some research.

Have a go Gringo123, am 34 this year and 1/2 way through ECE. Its never to late for a fresh start.

Your experiences will translate into the work ethics required quite easily.

Good luck with it.

Go for it! My only advise is however to brush up your math skills before starting.

I don't think age would be an issue.
I know many people who start a university about this age.
Go for it.

I don't think you could get onto a degree program with GCSE's only. Don't you need 3 good A-levels including Maths at a minimum of grade B, or a good Distiction level performance on an HNC/D program?

Any inspiration and opportunity to better yourself should be taken advantage of. You seem motivated enough. Why would you let something like age stop you?

After all, it's just a number.

Related to Is it Worth Pursuing Engineering at 38? Expert Insights and Advice

1. What are the benefits of studying engineering at 38?

Studying engineering at 38 allows individuals to bring a wealth of life experience and critical thinking skills to the field. It also opens up opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries.

2. Is it too late to start studying engineering at 38?

No, it is never too late to pursue a new career or education. Many individuals successfully switch to engineering later in life and find great success and fulfillment in the field.

3. Will I have a hard time keeping up with younger students?

It is natural to have concerns about keeping up with younger students, but age does not determine one's ability to learn and excel. With dedication and hard work, individuals of any age can succeed in engineering.

4. Are there specific challenges for studying engineering at 38?

One potential challenge of studying engineering at 38 may be balancing school with other responsibilities, such as work or family. However, with good time management and support, these challenges can be overcome.

5. What are the job prospects after studying engineering at 38?

The demand for engineers is continuously growing, and individuals who have studied engineering at 38 can have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Additionally, their unique skills and experiences can make them valuable assets in the workforce.