1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Study Nuclear Engineering in China or the U.S.

  1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    I am a chinese student in my junior year in high energy physics. After I have done some research in a national lab the latest summer,I find myself not really like the HEP research and want to do something more helpful to our lives.
    This term I have learned a lot courses about nuclear engineering.I intend to get a masters degree/PhD in nuclear engineering as China is now building a lot more nuclear power stations. And with a Masters degree or PhD in nulear engineering I can get a well-paied job. However,until last year, only 6 (this year has increased to 9)of over 3000 colleges(universities) in China have a nuclear engineering major.
    So I intended to study in the U.S. (for the fact that even the US did not build a single nuclear power station during the past 30 years,the nulear technology of the U.S. is still the world first class and financial reasons).
    I have a lot questions before I make my decision and I really appreciate it if anyone can offer me useful information.

    1.May it be possible and worthy for a chinese student to study nulear engineering in the U.S.? (the visa seems to be a little tough to get.)
    2.What is the situation of nuclear engineering in the U.S. colleges(universities)? Can I learn the latest technology?
    3.Can you recommend any colleges(universities) to me?(I do not believe the school rank)
    4.If I want to be admitted and get offer by a US colleges(universities), what should I do now?

    You can say any thing about my plan.
    Many Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    One can obtain a student visa to study in the US.

    Various state schools, e.g. Texas A&M, Univ. of Florida (Gainesville), Georgia Tech, North Carolina, U. of Michigan (Ann Arbor), U of Wisconsin (Madison), U of Illinois (Urban-Champaign), Oregon State Univ, Univ. of California-Berkeley, and private schools, e.g., RPI, MIT, . . . have nuclear engineering programs.

    One would learn reasonably new areas of the science and technology, e.g., CFD in thermal-hydraulics. Different schools have different strengths.

    To apply to a university, one would have to contact the registrar. It also helps to have a sponsor.

    My company hired an MIT PhD who emigrated from China.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook